The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just some questions when you install the start the truck and it isnt in the position you want it, when you switch it should it stumble fumble and somtimes die. the first chip didn't do that.
the first chip defaulted to no. 1 pos every now and then even with new batts. is there a satifaction level to expect? or should it work like you think it should?
:usflag thanks kirk

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
I think all flip chips are setup to go from 1 to 6 or how many ever with no stumbles

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought . will just have to keep trying i quess. used a new switch new chip maybe another new burn . maybe i will get some more input?
:usflag kirk

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
i have a DP tuner 4 position and my transition between each setting is linear. did you clean the contacts up well on the computer?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes this is the third chip. ive been runing it for about a year and a half now i took great care as not to remove the tining as well as the protective coating. i was told if you rub off the silver down to the copper you are asking for corrosion trouble later on it has been great til i switched burns im kinda thinking thats what it might be im hoping not cause i like it so far july 12 we are going camping and pulling 9,000 lb trailer up I-70 over the divide that will be the test

·
Dec. Truck Of the Month!!
264 Posts
It's the 6 position TS chip(hardware not burns) that is screwed up. Some what common with the 6 position ts but not the 4 position chips. I think your going to need a new chip. How old are your batteries?

Louie

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my batteries are 6 months old and i just cleaned the cables and batt post
last week everything seems ok this is my 3rd chip from TS they said they
would figure it out

·
6,337 Posts
You will get a stumble if your going from one family to another... A PMT to a NVK or vice versa. I had a fuel 7 program on my 99(XLE) that was a PMT, it would die everytime I went to that program... Just a FYI...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ignorance is going to raise its and my ugly head, what is pmt or nvk its probably a file type why would they mix the two? and explain more please

·
Registered
32 Posts
PMT and NVK are both box codes used on late 99 - 2001 Auotmatic 7.3 engines. Either one of these codes can be used on these trucks to over right the existing program. If your chip has a PMT program in one position then has NVK in anouther, it will cause the truck to stumble or even kill the engine. To clear up the problem all that needs to be done is to check the codes on the chip and make sure they are the same on all the settings. If this isn't clear let me know and I will try to explain it better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i under stand it a little it is what i suspected so i should send it back to the burnner and tell him to put all the same box codes on the chip? i didnt know this would be such a pita well hopefully i will get it straightened out after this week end. im going to take a camping trip and give it a work out it the rockies. will it hurt to run it with different box codes ????:shrug:

·
Registered
251 Posts
No it won't hurt anything other than killing the truck when you switch positions.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
dieseldadio,

In trucks were you have power steering and power brakes if you are going say 75 mph and you switch between postions then your truck will die and you will not have power brakes or power steering. :damnit

·
Git-R-Done
888 Posts
I have had this issue with a few trucks that I installed chips in but from my experiances they would not die if you have the engine throttled up above idle a couple hundred RPMs. They still stumbled a little but would not die and especialy if your driving down the road. All of these would only die if switching positions while idleing.

Now this is only my experiances and they may differ from others.

Good Luck

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
DieselDadio,

The 95 - 97 Powerstrokes have an external fuel bowl located on the front side of the motor on the passenger side of the engine. This bowl will can get gummy over the years. If you will call Jacob here at TS, he will walk you through the cleaning process. This should fix your fuel delivery problem when switching programs. Jacob is great on troubleshooting and he'll get you taken care of.

Sheila Perry
TS Performance

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont mean to be mean BYENOW but i dont have a fuel delivery problem just a slight fumble and stumble and sometimes death. (engine) when switching chip at idle ive been in touch with Randy at you business. also the folks at this site are giving me lots of info :woot: :bow: :Thumbup: :thanks:

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
DieselDadio said:
thanks i under stand it a little it is what i suspected so i should send it back to the burnner and tell him to put all the same box codes on the chip? i didnt know this would be such a pita well hopefully i will get it straightened out after this week end. im going to take a camping trip and give it a work out it the rockies. will it hurt to run it with different box codes ????:shrug:
Just dont switch it while the engine is running. If you havent done what I mentioned above take a look at it. You will notice a hp improvement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Byenow,
just got back today and was extremely disappointed with the new burns on chip . i'm thinking i have another problem the only thing i can think off is up pipes only getting 16-18 psi boost egts are like a rocketship to the high side, even in stock setting. smokes like crazy in all 6 position went from Aurora, 225 to i70 floyd hill 40-45 mph with egt at 1250-1300 to US 40 berthod pass to granby on 3/4 tank of fuel about 14 gallons,it is less than 100 miles. it takes for ever to cool back down to 350* like 10 mins or more. bottom line i guess is with generic burns stock, 40,75,75 shift enhanced 100 and fuel 7 the truck ran fine. i thought (big mistake) it would run better with burns i wanted mostly towing (see sig) and some fun. again i didnt have these problems before i changed chip but changing the chip might have brought them to light any other ideas, please help.also just got off the phone with Jacob going to send him chip and switch and have him check it out and while he is doing that im going to be cleaning the external fuel bowl as you suggested hoping that it makes a big difference thanks for your help i should have gone through you folks first :thanks:
:usflag thanks kirk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BYENOW
opened up the secondary fuel bowl today and it wasnt what i was hoping for it was clean and not hardly any chunks it wasn't spotless but somebody has been in there before to do the same cleaning so when i get the chip back from [email protected] we will see how it does
does anybodynow where i can get a float for my fuel tank sending unit?
thanks kirk:usflag

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
Kirk,

I'd try your local Ford dealer for the float.

Sheila

1 - 20 of 21 Posts