The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Powerstroke about 2 months ago, and have been thinking LOTS about where to drop some cash. I have a few questions about chips first though. I am going to be putting some 285s on in a few weeks to go with my leveling kit. I would like to recalibrate the speedo to correct the changes. I know that edge says that their evolution can accomplish this. But I really don't want to go with the edge. Do I have to get a programmer to have this? I am thinking about going with a dp when I get around to getting a chip. Am I out of line or does everybody with different size tires just leave the speedo alone? I need to get some gauges first, then I want to get on with everything else! :smoke Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam :grd

·
2,509 Posts
I put 285x75 16's on my 96 and couldn't tell much of a difference on the speedo.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
when I paid ford 50 bucks to recal for tires it was still off 2.5 mph so being some trucks came stock with 265/75/16 the 285 would probably be closer to dead on.I could be wrong on this.

I would go chip just cause you can play on the fly instead of stopping and loading.

mike

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Nice Pete:Thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have even run 305s and did not tell much difference. You might want to look at those, or a 295. I think they look a little better than the 285. But, you should not have much issue with the speedo, and go for the chip, they are much nicer to have.

·
748 Posts
I have 285's on my truck and it is definitely off. The odometer is off by about 4%. I determined this by running a 50 mile stretch on the interstate and checking it with the mile markers. I add 4 miles to every 100.
I did this because I like to track my fuel mileage.
So, the speedometer has to be off by an equal amount.
If your speedo reads 60 your are probably going approx. 62.5
I asked Jody at DP tuner and he said he could not do this with his chip.
Hope this helps.

·
6,337 Posts
Edge can NOT ajust the speedo's on our trucks... I dont know why but every truck I have seen with edge the speed parts are locked out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts