The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to fight the desire to chip my truck and I think I am going to fail (I'm such a failure :D ). Anyway, why do people get a stock setting? Is it necessary? If I want stock I can just pull the chip out right? I just can't fathom why I would want to flip it back to the stock setting. Is there something very obvious I am missing?

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I use my stock setting for Initial Start up and let the motor Warm up with the stock setting in the Mornings especially when it starts to get cold.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
there are a few reasons for stock

icey roads-(that won't effect you if you are in houston)
wet roads-(seldom will effect you in Houston)
warm ups-(trucks should be up to operating temp before using higher hp programs) In houston does it ever get below 50*F?
do you ever let others drive your truck that may hot rod it?:sly:
Emmsions testing (you won't have to pull the chip out)

If none of those pertain to you then there would be no need for it.

·
345 Posts
SeeYa said:

warm ups-(trucks should be up to operating temp before using higher hp programs) In houston does it ever get below 50*F?

Exactly!

·
6,337 Posts
Why waste a performance setting? I can pull my chip in less time then it took to type this... I have all mine set at 50-and up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
VALET??? Last time I let a Valet park my truck was at my cousins wedding. When they brought my truck back at the end of the night it was wrapped in toilet paper inside and out.:nunu: They thought they were going to play a joke on my cousin that got married and they got the wrong truck....:damnit jack ***' If it were me id get the Stock tune added to your chip I dont believe it costs you anything if you put it in one of the positions on an F5. I'm sure Diane can tell ya that though I may be wrong. I'd recommend DP Just got my SCT from DP today. Really Nice....

·
6,337 Posts
Jody said:
VALET??? Last time I let a Valet park my truck was at my cousins wedding. When they brought my truck back at the end of the night it was wrapped in toilet paper inside and out.:nunu: They thought they were going to play a joke on my cousin that got married and they got the wrong truck....:damnit jack ***' If it were me id get the Stock tune added to your chip I dont believe it costs you anything if you put it in one of the positions on an F5. I'm sure Diane can tell ya that though I may be wrong. I'd recommend DP Just got my SCT from DP today. Really Nice....
Yup, they charge for a stock tune... You get a chip with one tune for X amount, whether thats a stock or not, then 35-45 each one after that. Stock is a waste of space!!! And money...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I stand corrected then. I thought they didnt charge for it but ok. I just think with the F5 with 16 positions I wouldnt fill all those up so what the heck is a stock tune in one of the positions. But thats just me. With living up here though with the snow and stuff I know i wouldnt get one with out the stock tune. But again thats just me.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SeeYa said:

I appreciate the responses. Here we don't have testing for diesel trucks...just the safety inspection. 50*? I'm getting chilly just thinking about it. Winter here is where I put the flip-flops in the closet and pull out the ankle socks and nikes, lol!

The wife is the only other person that drives the truck. I trust her as much as I trust myself. She has driven/raced 2 Mustangs and let me bring 7 different Mustangs through our household in our 9 years of marriage. I would say she has passed all the tests I can throw at her. She even took pictures at 5 frames per second as I barrelled towards her to take this picture. Good woman!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a stock setting and use it for start-up & for when my wife drives. She doesn't like driving in the power settings. Contrary to popular belief it does get a little chilly in the winter. Last year it got down to the 20's and my EBPV would cycle for the first couple of miles. Personally I wouldn't want to drive it in a power setting during that. I also usually switch to stock while driving around town (40 mph & below).

HoustonPSD, what part of town are you in?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BigGreen. I appreciate the input

Yeah, we actually had a "white Christmas" here last year. Unbelievable!

I'm on the NW side of town. Copperfield area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts