The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting a new set of 7" or 8" straights on my truck. I have found a company that makes systems out of 304 stainless steel, and they're actually cheaper than Lincoln Chrome or Dynaflex chrome exhausts.

Would there be any disadvantages to having an all stainless exhaust system? I would think it would be all around better than chrome but I'm no expert. Any input or advice is appreciated.

·
515 Posts
Stainless is somewhat heavier in the brighter grades. Not alot,less than 10%, but it always seems heavier than that to me in exhaust components.

·
2,824 Posts
Is the stainless polished?

·
O'Skool Member
579 Posts
7-8"! That ain't exhaust, that's a reverb chamber. Hope you don't idle at the truckstops or you'll be making enemies.

But I'd take SS over Chrome any day for the same money.

·
3,533 Posts
We had an owner that bought stainless stacks and the drivers complained they rattled. He had 6 trucks and about ten drivers three quit before he changed back to chromed pipes, and he bought silent partner mufflers, on all his trucks.

·
2,824 Posts
7-8"! That ain't exhaust, that's a reverb chamber. Hope you don't idle at the truckstops or you'll be making enemies.

My 7" is quiet at an idle, but it's just on a big cam.

·
2,824 Posts
Name of the company?

·
502 Posts

No worse than an APU running with a muffler on and still are louder than most trucks.

We had an owner that bought stainless stacks and the drivers complained they rattled. He had 6 trucks and about ten drivers three quit before he changed back to chromed pipes, and he bought silent partner mufflers, on all his trucks.
Why would they rattle more...?

·
515 Posts
Why would they rattle more...?[/QUOTE]

Density and "temper" is different. Stainless 304 has more of a "ring" to it when tapped with hammer vs regular exhaust tube of like dimension. Might sound a bit different than other trucks with steel exhaust but in going from a 5-6" steel straight up to a 7-8" stainless I doubt if there would be an increase in the the higher "tone" pitch. For less $ I would try it for sure.

·
3,533 Posts
These guys were hauling 144,000 lbs over two mountain ranges more than 50 minutes pull on each hill they were conventionals with the exhaust on the cab, they said it went from a drone to a rattle, when the exhaust was changed. it was actually painful in you chest, is how they described it, they were hired by another outfit at our shop, when the owner heard they were not happy.
The trucks they went to were grass burners, they said it was a delight to drive the new trucks, they were all spec'ed the same, except for the exhaust.
A happy driver saves you money is what he use to say.

·
502 Posts
These guys were hauling 144,000 lbs over two mountain ranges more than 50 minutes pull on each hill they were conventionals with the exhaust on the cab, they said it went from a drone to a rattle, when the exhaust was changed. it was actually painful in you chest, is how they described it, they were hired by another outfit at our shop, when the owner heard they were not happy.
The trucks they went to were grass burners, they said it was a delight to drive the new trucks, they were all spec'ed the same, except for the exhaust.
A happy driver saves you money is what he use to say.
you meant sound rattle not loose bolt rattle. got it now.

·
4,827 Posts
Any time you make changes to the exhaust (like change in diameter, length of pipe, routing,) can and usually make the exhaust tone change. Or, change where in the RPM range you'll have a drone. And, whether the drone will be a higher or lower pitch.

Reactions: Oxbow12 and KTF

·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the stainless polished?
Sorry for taking so long to get back on here. Yes the stainless is polished. The name of the company is American Eagle LLC as far as I can tell. The guy's name is Wayne Epps. I talked to him on the phone for several minutes the other day. He just got started making exhaust in 2013 and as of right now he said he is having a hard time getting production to meet demand. He's very hard to get ahold of and it doesn't seem like he has a real organized business yet (which is understandable at this point). But his exhaust is definitely cheaper than Dynaflex or Lincoln chrome and it is all 304 SS.

·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And for those concerned about the noise with straights, I don't know how it will be yet. I'm gonna put them on and then go from there, a muffler can always be added in front of the Y pipe if necessary.

But I think it will be ok with full straights. I have a Cat and they aren't as loud as a Detroit or Cummins. I am also lining my entire cab with Dynamat xtreme sound deadener, which I think will leave the cab as quiet or quieter with the straights as it was before with the mufflers and no Dynamat. The Dynamat should also help with any drone that may occur.

I'll just have to try it out and see.

·
255 Posts
I would seriously reconsider SS exaust. It's real high maintanance compared to good Chrome. Sure it does not rust. But that's the only advantage.
Ever try to get baked on bugs off your pipes in the summer time. Ya I use a sos pad. Never scratchs good Chrome. Easily cleans them like new. Try that with SS. Scratch the crap out of them right. The SS does not keep its high luster either. Over time it dulls or turns brownish color from the heat. Only way to get them back is polishing.
Just buy good Chrome set. U will be much happier in the long run.

There's some guys around here have them and there not happy at all. One guy even has a lawsuit going on over it.

·
115 Posts
I have a set of 7" Lincoln Chrome flat tops. Had them 2 years and they still look like new. Also, I have done some tree trimming with them cause there 13'4" tall and NO dings nor dents on them.

·
292 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to get back on here. Yes the stainless is polished. The name of the company is American Eagle LLC as far as I can tell. The guy's name is Wayne Epps. I talked to him on the phone for several minutes the other day. He just got started making exhaust in 2013 and as of right now he said he is having a hard time getting production to meet demand. He's very hard to get ahold of and it doesn't seem like he has a real organized business yet (which is understandable at this point). But his exhaust is definitely cheaper than Dynaflex or Lincoln chrome and it is all 304 SS.
Yes American eagle, a guy I know has them, 10 inch, they are a little louder than a 5 regular muffler truck, the big ones are not loud, just under 3 grand for mine, 2850 with everything, their BAD AZZ !! I would take dull stainless over cheap chrome any day off the week..

·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna try a set of them. I know SS has some disadvantages to chrome but it still seems like the advantages of SS will far outweigh the disadvantages.

Especially when you consider that the SS will be about $1000 cheaper than the same setup in chrome. No brainer. I'll take some pictures and report back when I get them put on my truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm gonna try a set of them. I know SS has some disadvantages to chrome but it still seems like the advantages of SS will far outweigh the disadvantages.

Especially when you consider that the SS will be about $1000 cheaper than the same setup in chrome. No brainer. I'll take some pictures and report back when I get them put on my truck.
How did the exhaust turn out for you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts