The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get alot of road grime and crap living here in BFE. A friend told me to use a clay bar to get rid of it, never used one though. Can someone give me some info, is this something I can do (dont want to screw up the paint!). Also whats a good wax. Usually i just go get my truck detailed but dont have the time i used to.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
A Clay bar is a good way to rid your paint of bonded contaminants. It's also a good step in the detailing process to prep your paint for polishing.

It will strip all wax off as well, which is why you are encouraged to wax the vehicle afterwards.

I've yet to try Adam's - TDG Sponsor, but look them up and see what they have.

I suggest a visit to Meguiar's forums to learn about detailing the correct method. I believe Adam's also has videos on their page.

prt

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt even know TDG has a sponser that does that sort of thing. After I use this ill switch. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
116 Posts
fordt said:
You won't be sorry, www.adamspolishes.com there are videos on there to help you out. There is also a discount with the code "TDG"
X2 I used to use Meguiar's until I switched to Adam's, products are much easier to use and I think the results are much better.

·
1,386 Posts
I just switched to Adams products myself and I love them. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great responses and kind words:Thumbup: . A Clay Bar benefits your paint before any polishing or waxing is done, by removing any surface contaminates they may cause damage to the paint. A Clay Bar is also great for safely removing tree sap, bugs, and over-spray.

As members have already mentioned, check-out our instructional video about the Clay Bar for additional information: http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_16.aspx.

Thanks and let us know if you have any additional questions.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot for the advice...expecially since I didnt purchase it from you. Youll defiantly have a new customer as soon as i need something else!

·
Registered
77 Posts
StrokerAce said:
Thanks alot for the advice...expecially since I didnt purchase it from you. Youll defiantly have a new customer as soon as i need something else!
Thanks for the kind words my friend!! Just glad we could help you out:Thumbup: !

-Dale

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
New money

:kissazz Now you have a cusomer. Really though I need something and I'm grateful for finding this thread and this product. :bow: :bow: :bow: :Thumbup: I have a 35' fifth wheel that would greatly benefit from this and also my girlfriends 89' Toyota 4x4 with one of the nicest flatbeds I've seen. Point is the paint she spent money to have done needs help to put it mildly. It's still there it just needs some lovin. Thanks and I will be ordering some of your product also. :kissazz :woot:

·
2,509 Posts
what will claybar do to fresh paint

I just painted a tractor in my shop last night and I don't have a good paintbooth set up just yet so I got a small about of dirt and a gnat or two in my paint whill it was drying:damnit I dont want to have to wetsand it and buff it out because the paint layed out real smooth and thats a lot of work. will a clay bar work to get rid of some of those specs in the paint.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I wouldn't wet sand it, but I would hit it with a good compound to remove as much of that junk as possible.

I double that a clay bar probably will do much for embedded dirt & insects. Doesn't remove the couple of things stuck in my (factory) paint.

prt

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
pontiacross said:
I just painted a tractor in my shop last night and I don't have a good paintbooth set up just yet so I got a small about of dirt and a gnat or two in my paint whill it was drying:damnit I dont want to have to wetsand it and buff it out because the paint layed out real smooth and thats a lot of work. will a clay bar work to get rid of some of those specs in the paint.
Thanks
Probably not... I'd try the compounding route.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Clay may help to reduce the dirt and gnat specks, but may not remove them all together. As a few other members have suggested, a good compound should take them right out. If you do decide to go the compounding route, be sure to follow up with a good polish:Thumbup: :Thumbup: !

Thanks and let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to use a clay bar on my brand new truck? It felt like I was washing 1500grit sandpaper. I was amazed how smooth the truck felt after claying it.
Very easy to do, just keep the surface wet with the detail spray and rub the wet areas, very nice product.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
BWdiver said:
I had to use a clay bar on my brand new truck? It felt like I was washing 1500grit sandpaper. I was amazed how smooth the truck felt after claying it.
Very easy to do, just keep the surface wet with the detail spray and rub the wet areas, very nice product.
Best way to prevent paint damage from rail dust is to clay the vehicle right away... :Thumbup:

·
1,660 Posts
as a professional painter by trade, i can tell you that removing dirt out of the paint needs to be wet sanded. you dont have to sand the whole surface if you dont want to . You can do a process called Nibbing. just sand over the dirt and the Gnat then use your buffer over those areas, just remember your buffing a smaller area so dont build up alot of heat. if you do not sand it first then the compound cant do anything. reason is that the sanding cuts the material and the object out of the paint, if the Clay did pull the dirt out for you it would certainly leave a hole or depression where it was because the material wasnt sanded down to level it out. If that happened that means there is a place for water to get in or under the paint and start some real Havoc. compounding will only ride over top of it. It may possibly tear off part of the Gnat that is sticking above the paint but wont remove the whole thing.

PS. Adams, i see your from Maryland, mind if i ask wear? i'm on kent island

·
Registered
77 Posts
mattsn said:
as a professional painter by trade, i can tell you that removing dirt out of the paint needs to be wet sanded. you dont have to sand the whole surface if you dont want to . You can do a process called Nibbing. just sand over the dirt and the Gnat then use your buffer over those areas, just remember your buffing a smaller area so dont build up alot of heat. if you do not sand it first then the compound cant do anything. reason is that the sanding cuts the material and the object out of the paint, if the Clay did pull the dirt out for you it would certainly leave a hole or depression where it was because the material wasnt sanded down to level it out. If that happened that means there is a place for water to get in or under the paint and start some real Havoc. compounding will only ride over top of it. It may possibly tear off part of the Gnat that is sticking above the paint but wont remove the whole thing.

PS. Adams, i see your from Maryland, mind if i ask wear? i'm on kent island
Thanks mattsn for the great info! I am located in northern Baltimore County, in "The Hereford Zone." Kent Island is too terribly far away.

Thanks again!

-Dale

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, I'm in Edgemere - Eastern Baltimore County. If you ever need a truck to do a "before and after" shot, let me know!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts