The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 F250 4x4 7.3L no mods other than DIY air intake. I was driving Saturday and it was running fine, went home for an hour and it wouldn't start, all my gauges come on and all electrics work. Tried jumping even though the batteries are fine, no blown fuses, tried swapping relays, got underneath the truck while the wife tried to start and tried hitting the starter; nothing (all I hear is clicking), could it be the starter or I read something about the shifter position sensor, how would I go about checking that.

·
8,265 Posts
First off, have you tried to start the truck in neutral? Give that a try and see what happens. If it doesn't and you want to check the alignment of the gear selector...put the truck into the neutral selection. Then crawl under the truck and on the drivers side you will see the shift linkage. There should be two small lines (one on the attachment to the cab cable, the other mounted to the attachment on the tranny) that are lined up. If they are not...I believe it is just loosening up a bolt to adjust cable so that the neutral lines are lined up. Once done...tighten back up.

I know those are not the official terms...and at 4:30am my mind just isnt clicking on all 8 cylinders.

·
63 Posts
If it's clicking, where's the clicking happening? Under the hood, or down near the starter? Either way, if something clicks, then it's likely the range switch on the trans is ok.... If you have a test light, have your wife turn the ignition to the start position, and using the test light-check that power is getting to the small wire on the starter solenoid; if it is, then the trans range switch is functioning, and you have either a bad starter or a bad connection right at the starter...

·
3 Posts
02 F250 4x4 7.3L no mods other than DIY air intake. I was driving Saturday and it was running fine, went home for an hour and it wouldn't start, all my gauges come on and all electrics work. Tried jumping even though the batteries are fine, no blown fuses, tried swapping relays, got underneath the truck while the wife tried to start and tried hitting the starter; nothing (all I hear is clicking), could it be the starter or I read something about the shifter position sensor, how would I go about checking that.
had the same thing happen about a year ago.

I went through the following:
-installed a new wire harness (battery to battery) as the old one had some pretty bad corrosion
-installed new batteries
-installed new DP Electric starter - evne had it re-built
-installed new starter solenoid

These seemed to fix the issue - for a while, then the "click no start" started again. At times I was able to jump the starter from the battery/starter solenoid, other times I could just turn the key over (like a regular gas car) w/o waiting for the wait to start light - and often it would fire up.

It did it again last weekend and just wouldn't start- even from the starter solenoid. Took it to the shop for a diagnosis and was getting power to the starter. Shop installed a new starter and voila! problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts