The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my post under another name because I keep forgetting my danged loggin info.

Ok I've had this '93 N/A IDI for about three months. It has a stick shift and since Ive had it reverse has been a bi!<#. Always grinds and hard to get in. But I've been putting off replacing the clutch because the peddle is only working on the bottom 1-2 inches of pedal. A few people told me that is sometimes normal operating range on these trucks because there is no adjustment. System has been bled and was told its a constant bleeding system. But anyways I was wondering if there is a measurement on how far the slave cylinder should actually move the clutch arm. Or if their is a test to see if the slave cylinder is bad, because I got a new clutch because it is getting harder shift into any gear, but I got under there and the friction disc looks like its over half there. So I had my wife come out and push on the clutch and the slave cylinder rod only pushes the clutch arm about 1/4-1/2 inch. Is that normal?

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok now I've got the stuff pulled. Clutch is worn. How do I get the damned pilot bearing out. When I worked on sim trucks at uhaul they always had the cheap solid brass pilot bearing and I could fill it with grease and use another input shaft to hydroponically push it out. But this one has roller bearing pilot shaft and it doesn't seem to want to budge. Any help will be of utmost appreciation. Thanks.

·
2,106 Posts
the reason youre having the problem is because of the ridiculous amount of flex in the firewall of this bodystyle. the linkage also is problematic at every connection because of little nylon bushings that wear out. the ultimate fix is found at http://www.terrapinmfg.com/display.php?prod=14 I dont know why their part is only up to 91 because the cab is exactly the same.
On my truck I bolted a pieces of small short chain under the master cylinder bolt and connected it to a small turnbuckle hooked to a solid piece under the dash and tightened it up. Working well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts