The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As luck would have it I was about 600 miles away from my house and had to work. Drove it about 2 miles without the clutch to get it there on Tuesday morning and was promised it would be out that evening. At 4 p.m. the service advisor called and said I also needed a new master cylinder in addition to the pedal assembly to the tune of $1300.00. Effin' a-holes! So I replied "I'll be there in 20 minutes, don't do anything!" When I got there I asked why the master cylinder needed to be replaced - "Oh it seems to be a little bent, I wasn't able to push it in by hand." Duh! You think maybe that's how it got bent? So I straightened it out by hand and asked them to replace the pedal and let me get on my way. Guess what - They have to order it from Denver (I'm in Albuquerque). Now it's 4:30 and they hadn't ordered it yet??

It's gonna be $650 to replace a stupid clutch pedal, the part is $140. No wonder the automotive industry is suffering, they are slow, inefficient, incompetent and overpriced. After calming down a bit I left very specific instructions. Replace the pedal and save the old one, don't plug ANYTHING into the OBD port, the clutch makes a ton of noise and it's normal, and please do not drive it any further than is absolutley necessary.

Do you guys think I overreacted? Is this normally how dealerships operate? What would you have done?

I totally feel violated and will never return to a dealer again.

·
590 Posts
I assume your truck is a ck series, if so i'am very familar with the componets you need replaced. Pedal,slave cyl,line, and clutch master cyl, all together should have been less then 600.00. Even less if you had got the slave cyl related stuff at a place like napa. Considering you didnt need all i listed, it makes matters even worse. Personaly i can replace and bleed the entire pedal/slave assembly in about 3.5 hrs max. Yes i would say they are crooks, and no you didnt over react. I learned long ago never to trust any place with my money. I allways give specific instructions when i have to have someone else make repairs on my stuff. I onece had a equipment dealer gouge me [try to] for an extra 1000.00 on a repair for some extra work they had to do to a machine. In reality the repair with labor was about an xtra 200.00. I wrote a chk for 200.00 more then the original quote, told them i had allready heard story's from other contractors about them being shady, and to get screwed. I had allready had my machine loaded on the trailer, as i was prepared for an issue. Sorry for your bad luck.

·
590 Posts
Very true on the lack of respect part. There are some good respectable dealerships out there, but i still stay cautious when i have to use any of them. I believe the original poster simply came across a bad one, and being on the road away from home only made it easier for them..

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is still eating at me, I just can't comprehend why anyone in their right mind would choose to do business like this. If you have a good reputation for running a decent, honest business it really goes a long way. I try really hard to trust everyone and it makes it really challenging when you get burned. Maybe I'm naive, but that's just my character and I won't change, but I will be more cautious.

Isn't there a thread around regarding dealerships/repair shops to avoid? Since I really don't plan on ever buying another new vehicle this is my last visit to a dealer.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the last time i went to a dealer for parts i wanted a fricken fuel filter and i asked for a filter and the parts guy brings me some generic no-name thing and i said no, i want the AC-delco filter, WELL HOLYSHAT!!!!! they wanted $140cdn for that damn thing... and the guys like do you want it, im like no so he started to ring up the cheaper(which was $56cdn) and i was like, no i dont want anything here at all

Well i walked across the street and picked up a WIX filter for $43.... never again will i darken the parts counter of a dealership, NEVER!!!

·
Man. Trans 2wd Enthusiast
185 Posts
I only go to the dealer occasionally, and that is just to buy some parts. I never let anyone but me or my old man touch my ****.

Dad once let a truck go to the vo-tech for a brake lamp issue, (figure it would be good education to trace wiring, etc) and before they installed the brake light switch, they cut off and threw away the beautiful silicone booted OEM chassis cab tail lamps. never again. first time he hired anything out, and he got burned, and burned bad. The bill wasnt the issue, the destruction was.

Is this a 6.5L? if so, they are pretty easy to speed shift, if you need to get home to do it yourself. as long as it is done right, speed shifting is pretty easy on the componentry.

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts