The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Since installing my DP Tuner, I noticed some good slippage on the 120 and 140 settings, but she could get the 80 setting to the ground no problem. All of a sudden starting saturday, she was slipping really bad even on the 80 setting, basically overnight change....I'm talking slipping at 40mph in 3rd gear.

I just figured the clutch was toast and started to look at SBC prices, but then I started thinking about it, and I did a fuel filter friday evening which involved me spilling a lot of diesel into the intake valley. I think the diesel drained onto the clutch and now she's slipping worse than usual because of that.

Can I fix this? It was holding fine on the 80 setting before which was fine with me until it wore out. I'm not totally opposed to getting a new clutch, but would like to put it off for as long as possible....

thanks,
Paul

·
2,509 Posts
I dont think there is any way that fuel out of the vally could have gotten on your clutch unless your trans is loose and there is a gap at the top. the only holes in the bell housing are at the bottom and for the clutch fork on the side but I dont think it could have gotten on it from either of them. You may just have more power with the new filter to make the clutch slip worse.

·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a damn expensive answer.....

haha, thanks man
Paul

·
608 Posts
paul, i am in the same boat, but i know that i will burn my clutch up, so i am going to dump the money in that, before i get the DP tunes... just to be safe. what clutch you looking at?

·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
southbend's con ofe with a SMFW probably...? The stocker replacement is rated to 300hp, and the manual tranny '02 7.3 is rated at 275hp plus whatever my chip actually creates (call it 80 maximum), that puts me just under the OFE's 400hp rating. No brainer?

Luk makes the cerrametallic upgrade clutch, but southbend just seems to carry a little more clout with the diesel guys.

I'm a little wary of changing to a SMFW...what are the truths as far as shock to the gears and accelerated transmission wear that I read about?

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts