The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the money for a clutch now i am wondering what i should get i was thinking of the south bend that holds 850 hp & 1400 ft lbs of torque. any suggestions??

·
606 Posts
Got the money for a clutch now i am wondering what i should get i was thinking of the south bend that holds 850 hp & 1400 ft lbs of torque. any suggestions??
Good choice. You can mod the truck without to many limits on it now.

·
Built not bought...
72 Posts
I have a Southbend in my 05 and love it. I here that they stoped making the full ceramic version like mine though. My friend whos a dealer for them tryed to order one a month ago and was told that they no longer make the version that him and I have been running for years in many differant 6speed trucks. Aparently because people were complaining about the harshness of the engagement. I think this may be the same version that your talking about (but I could be wrong). Hopefuly u can find a dealer that has one in stock if this is what truely happened. If not, the cevlar ceramic blended one is pretty good for 90% of the people out there anyways. Keep in mind, they rate them for less than the actual rwhp that they will handle. Just to be on the safe side. And if u care to save some money, just get the clutch disc itself from Southbend. Then all the other stuff from a ford dealer. The 6speed parts out of a F550 are close to the same as whats in the complete kit thing that Southbend sells. Single mass flywheel, etc. But it may help to know someone that can get a dealer discount from Ford. Just my.02. Hope it helped.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks yeah i have been looking around and can get one that says it'll hold 850hp for 1800 but i dont plan on having 850hp to the wheels at most 650 maybe 700 so i should be fine lol and i dont pull alot of things a trailer once in awhile but this truck is mostly a daily driver and i go to the drags once a week so at least its not always under a full load

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
I had a SouthBend Dual Disc in my '08, it was the 3600 pound diaphram pressure plate, 12 buttons per side of each disc. I ran the 250 tune (500 rwhp) for around 30,000 miles on it. It worked great for the 250 tune. The dual discs are noisy, they clatter when the pedal is down, but it's not too bad. People just look at you funny. Pedal pressure is much higher, I think my left leg is slightly stronger now than my right. LOL

When I ran the 310 tune on it (560 rwhp), the clutch couldn't handle it, and it would slip when I really got on it. I think it was partially due to the miles already on it, but I'm not confident a new one would hold up to the 310 tune, much less with any more power.

For my new truck, I sent my old DD to SB, had it rebuilt (much cheaper, btw), and I actually just got it back earlier this week while I was on my 1 day off. It's still a diaphram 3600#, but now it's solid disc, no springs, and sintered iron, no buttons. They talked me into it, said there are 1000 hp dodges running this settup, and I warned them about my torque, but they're confident it'll hold. Give me about a month to get all my crap together, and I'll tell you how I like it. :thumbsup

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ordered the 3850 clutch today should be here in 5 to 7 days, putting it in the day she gets here ill let you all know how it is compared to this pos stock one. now i can get the 311 tune from river city diesel and run the preloaded tunes without slipping but they arent good by any means i hope the custom ones are wayy better lol

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
So you got the 3850 with the lever type diaphram? I'm real interested to know how you like that. I'll check back with you in a couple weeks. I'll tell you one thing, it'll be night and day from that stock pos. Much harder to push, the levers will resist shifting, probably make noise, etc. Something else you can bank on, the custom tunes will blow the canned tunes out of the water. You're going to chit with excitement when you drive it. :happymugs Be sure you break that clutch in good before you romp on it!

·
56 Posts
i got the 3850 presure plate its no joke, little noisy, very hard to engage but doesn't slip for **** they dynoed my truck its got 545 to the wheel and i never had a problem

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
clutch should be here tomorrow putting it in then hope shes everthing ive imagined lol ill tell ya how she is though

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the clutch in took 4 hours or so its awesome to say the least very impressed and happy so far. calling river city diesel today for their 585rwhp tune then i can really put this clutch to the test lol

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clutch works great with the 585 tune from river city very impressed with their tune

·
53 Posts
i have a brand new southbend dual disc 3850 in the box still for sale. i sold the truck before i put it in. il sell if for cheap i just need to get rid of the thing pm me if your interested

mike

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would have bought it if i knew you had it but i already got mine in lol sorry

·
53 Posts
its the complete clutch brand new in box never taken out. i didnt put it in because i got rid of the truck :(. id like to get $1400 out of it, paid $1800 about 3 months ago.

thanks
mike

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1400 would be a solid deal and getting used to the clutch was easy it just is a little harder to push in

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Dang that is a deal. I got mine rebuilt already, or I would have bought it from you. Strokin, have you slipped it pretty hard yet? Do you pull or drag more?

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
clutch hasent slipped one bit got a unnecessary smoke ticket with it running the 585 race tune lol i drag race at our local drag strip on wednesdays its about to start back up for this year hopefully my times will be faster this year. i wouldnt go with any other set up im very impresswed with this truck now. love the 6.4 haha

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Good to hear. :thumbsup Where are you located?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts