The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A new bill has explicitly banned coal rolling in the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has signed State Senate bill 2418 into law, officially banning the practice of rolling coal.

For those that aren’t familiar with coal rolling, it involves modifying a diesel vehicle to spew black soot and smoke. The practice gained notoriety after videos were uploaded showing large diesel trucks blasting pedestrians and hybrids with black clouds of smoke.

SEE ALSO: New Bill Seeks $5,000 Fine for Rolling Coal

The new bill makes it illegal to “retrofit any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle, colloquially referred to as ‘coal rolling.'”

Penalties can add up to $5,000 for a first offense. The bill is actually redundant in a way as the State of New Jersey already has a law that says vehicles “shall not emit visible smoke, whether from crankcase emissions or from tailpipe exhaust, for a period in excess of three consecutive seconds.”

This new bill shows that lawmakers are specifically targeting coal rolling. “It’s to actually make sure we enforce the law. We have laws that lay fallow, I think, in some circumstances,” Assemblyman Tim Eustace, a sponsor of the bill, told NJ.com.

There are also U.S. Environmental Protection Agency laws in place that makes coal rolling illegal.

[Source: NJ.com]

Filed under: American Diesel Cars Featured Articles Trucks
Tags: Big Trucks, Black smoke from a diesel, Coal Rolling, Coal Rolling Laws, diesel trucks, New Jersey, rolling coal

Read More Here: Coal Rolling Banned in New Jersey » AutoGuide.com News

·
1,324 Posts
Idiots screaming look at me, look at me, well you got it a $5000 spotlight and I'd guess possible additional fines from the Feds.

Reactions: theakerstwo

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
While I don't condone those jackasses that purposefully smoke out somebody, what happens to the guy that has modified his vehicle and isn't intending to smoke out an intersection yet still has a puff of smoke?

·
1,324 Posts
While I don't condone those jackasses that purposefully smoke out somebody, what happens to the guy that has modified his vehicle and isn't intending to smoke out an intersection yet still has a puff of smoke?
That's why these guy are morons. The few ruining it for the many because they think it's cool to roll coal at women walking, bikers or hybrid cars. Just search youtube all sorts of real men being dumb bleeps.

Reactions: theakerstwo

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Well I do hope that the Jackasses get tickets and learn to not be jackasses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts