The Diesel Garage banner

code p0401???????

21K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BriteWhiteRam 
#1 ·
my dad has an 06 gmc duramax with the basics, intake, exhaust and a bully dog triple dog downloader with crazy larry and his check engine light has come on for the seconed time both times the same code p0401 unknown DTC. anyone know this code he hates the dealer so he was hoping you guys might have the scoops on this one..

#2 ·
#3 ·
Does he have an EGR block off plate? i know my CEL keeps coming on because of that code but i have the blocker without the fingerstick.. i was under the impression that if you had an FE8 truck that you didnt need the fingerstick, i was wrong lol

#4 ·
Have the same code

I have the same code come up on my truck. I got the blocker plate and the fingerstick and it didn't do a darn thing. So I took the next best route. I took my dash off. Easy Job. Took the gauge panell apart. Also easy and put a piece of electrical tape across the opening for the check engine light. Now I never see it. Ignorance is bliss.

#6 ·
I have the same code come up on my truck. I got the blocker plate and the fingerstick and it didn't do a darn thing. So I took the next best route. I took my dash off. Easy Job. Took the gauge panell apart. Also easy and put a piece of electrical tape across the opening for the check engine light. Now I never see it. Ignorance is bliss.
this could be a costly mistake in the long run, it might be a better solution to get a tuner that will shut the egr off, that way the ecm will never bother to try and open it, and will never know that flow is insufficient, and you get all those fun power levels too.. lol im still broke from going to school 4 years in a row, so i cant afford the toys yet but they are comming

but i dont recommend covering your CEL... no bueno lol:fan

#5 ·
I had the plate in and never had the code.But I still added PPE style finger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.