The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a California truck, 1999 model, built in December '08, I took delivery in January '99. It doesn't have the 10/99 and later glow plug control module set-up, it's whatever system they were using in this early model first year super duty turbo diesel. The dealer quoted my mechanic $790 for the "glow plug monitor" or module or whatever. Both he and I are trying to determine just whatinhell is really going on, but we know for sure it isn't the harness to bank 2, we replaced it. So maybe 1 or more defective glow plugs in that bank? Or is it the "glow plug relay" which is a pretty cheap part? Or is there in fact a much rarer "glow plug monitor" peculiar to that production run of trucks? Hell, we don't know, but we're thinking there something odd about this price quote from the dealer. Neither of us have the factory service manual, and the TSB's I've seen apply to the 10/98 or later '99's...We should have checked the glow plug impedances when we had the valve cover off, but we we're hoping the harness was the problem, as apparently is most generally the case. Any suggestions? Neither my mechanic nor I place a lot of faith in the dealer's suggested "solution".

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
I think the California Glow Plug Relay here: http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/powerstroke/73/glow.php
might be what your dealer is referring to. I can't say I have any experience with California models, maybe someone with a little more information with chime in.

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
Scratch that, I just did a little more reading on that page and it says 2000+ for that module, sorry about that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Johnnyo53,
Did you ever figure out the P1396 code?
I have a 99 Ford from California.
Just had the glow plug gasket harnesses go out. Had the mechanic replace the harnesses on both sides as well as the glow plugs.
AFTER the fix started getting P1396 and P1395. Mechanic says it is a difference in amps getting to the two banks. California emissions module sends a SES light if the two banks are not within 3 amps of each other. My mechanic says the banks on my are just over 3 amps and that this is not a concern? Don't know if I agree and any info or opinions on this would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts