The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cold air intake do you think works best on a 2002 7.3L psd? Also , dry vs. oiled filters which does the best job? Yes I did do a search , but still left me with these questions? I know AFE makes about the best intakes , but would like to see what you guys think? :itsdead

·
310 Posts
be prepared to upgrade the turbo. there will be a surge like all the rest of us deal with. not meaning to bust any bubbles, just a heads up

·
205 Posts
I've been real happy with my diy intake but if your going for looks its not the greatest but with one of the wraps from outerwears for it, its gotta help.

·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surge ? Replace turbo? Go on?

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
I don't know how aggressive the fueling is on your program you are using, but it doesn't take a whole lot for the stock turbo on your production run of truck to experience surge and or stall. More than likely it has been doing one or the other or both anyway, you just haven't heard it because of the stock airbox. You can get a wicked wheel for your current turbo and that will most likely take care of the issue, it does for almost everybody that has done it and it is a rather inexpensive modification, just a little time consuming.

·
6,337 Posts
AFE Stage 2... Try the driguard if you want, I have not yet but some have and report good things...

·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the are stage 1 and I run tadd`s high power tune all the time. I hear a big wooosh sound or something like that when I`m gettting on it alittle is that what your talking about (surge)?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
astro said:
Surge ? Replace turbo? Go on?
lookhere http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=27195 this is what i would well have done do the diy intake and then do the compresser wheel in the turbo you can do both of these mods for lewss than an afe. i have the supirior wheel from dfuser it was about 90 bucks and the diy intake will out flow the afe just look here http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62905 good luck i hope this helps ya steve

·
6,337 Posts
astro said:
I have the are stage 1 and I run tadd`s high power tune all the time. I hear a big wooosh sound or something like that when I`m gettting on it alittle is that what your talking about (surge)?

Surge is more of a PTF PTF PTF over and over at about 1500-1900 RPM's... Sounds like you are hearing shift stall

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
are you lookin for a new intake? you have a afe stage 1 now.... corect? why the need of another one?
i like the afe stage 2 with a progaurd filter on it. (dry filter)
ive always heard to run a dry filter on a turbo powered engine, because oil is sucked out of the filter into the turbo and into the motor.
a wicked wheel and ats intake housing will completly fix the surging problem. and have a nice whistle. but the you still have the ebpv hanging on the exhaust. i would upgrade it to a garrett ball bearing gt38r. thats a good one for mild hp applications. works great on trucks with chips only. it also would leave room for small injectors later on or any other small mods later on.

The way i always looked at it was that if something breaks of wears out, always put something bigger and better in its place. :Thumbup: :2cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts