The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the weather has trned real cold here lately and i have noticed that when i start my truck after work and leave i take it REAL easy untill shes fully warmed up but i notice that when it hits about 1500RPM the motor gets "loud" as if i am pulling something all of a sudden.

well tonight i put it in neutral and held the throttle to about 11300-1500 RPM and after a couple of seconds the motor "boggs" down to about 1100RPM and it almost sounds like when you pulling guys are spoolin your turbos just as you take off (if this makes sence) the only thing i can think of is thats when the EBPV closes and its forcing the motor to work a little and help it warm up.

if so i was under the impression that the valve is closed from the start and slowly opens with RPM and oil temps. anyone that can answer me on what this is i appreciate it, just want to make sure its nothing serious.

·
2,821 Posts
When I had my '97 I unplugged the EBPV because it became a royal pain. If there was snow on the ground and you let off the throttle going into a turn with the torque coverter locked the EBPV would close and act as an exhaust brake. Next thing you know you can feel the truck fish tail a little bit. I just unplugged it and forgot it, never had a problem with warming up or anything. Chris

·
6,337 Posts
I bet your exhaust backpressure sensor is pluged or not working... It is controled by that and oil temp... If one or both are messed up so is the EBPV... Fix it rather then unplug it....Its trying to do its job...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im having the same problem, were is the Exhaust backpressure sensor? Can it be cleaned or is it better to buy a new one.

·
6,337 Posts
pleace69 said:
Im having the same problem, were is the Exhaust backpressure sensor? Can it be cleaned or is it better to buy a new one.

You can see it in both these pic's, there is a metal tube from the pass side manifold to that location. most times the tube gets plugged with soot and needs cleaned out, but the sensor can get plugged too.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just Visiting,
What year is your truck? Mine does the same thing, it's normal. The EBPV will cycle open/closed until everything is warm. Plug it in, depending on the outside ambient air temp, it should stop if you plug in at night.

·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 97 sorry, but u did have it plugged in but the temp was only 11 degrees last night, anyways the first time it did it was about a month ago i went out and started it at 340 am, well the guy who was supposed to come in over slept (we were covering a guy on vac) he ended up coming in at 4:15 i left at 4:25 so the truck was at idle for well over 45 min and that time it did it and i was scared....

i would not think that the long idle did it hell our firetrucks sometimes idle for 4-6 hours and no problem, anyways it does it onle when its below about 25 degrees out, and ONLY between 13-1800RPM if i touch the gas a little harder its fine and i guess when i leave work i do about 45-50 mph for about 4 miles on this one road where there are 3 stop signs, afther that it dont do it anymore

·
168 Posts
having a heck of problem with mine(ebpv) if it's under 30 degrees this thing comes on and off about every 20 seconds all the way to work (about 35-40min.s) and seems to hurt my fuel mileage. clean it ? unplug it? and if i unplug it will there be any other problems from doing so ? i'm a newbie so somebody help me

·
Registered
239 Posts
I unplugged mine at the turbo pedestal and never looked back. Mine would also come on while on a long road trip through single-digit temps and stay on resulting in 10 MPG empty. I unplugged it but to help the engine stay warm I added a full winter front cover that I leave on from November clear into April. I now have a turbo that eliminates the EBPV but everything stays nice and warm with the winter front and my fuel mileage has returned to completely normal which is 17+ even in cold weather.

After that being said...take this info and adapt it to your climate. NC is a whole buch different from central/eastern Orygun.

·
168 Posts
thanks firehunter, gonna try her out monday morning about 5:00 am. it wont be that cold only about 31, but i should have an opportunity to see if it works

·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine only comes on in that RPM range though thats whats wierd and it stopps after about 8 miles of driving

·
1,854 Posts
My 97 does it to! It sounds like a jet when i got the idle control set a 1300 to warm up the engine. then it comes on when i am goin down the road and the rpms are 1200 or so then when i press the gas it will open back up.

·
112 Posts
Mine does it to, the real cold mornings it will aggrivate the hell out of me on the country roads, lots of corners and 45 mph speed limit but hit the highway and its fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts