The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I kinda have a small problem. Its more annoying than anything because when its in the low 30's outside or lower I will go out to start my truck and I will turn the key on and or a couple times to let the plugs warm up. I than start the truck and let it run, it lasts about 10-20 seconds than acts like it runs out of fuel. I than open the hood and reprime it and fire it up and it runs fine. Mind you this is my first D-max, but Im not a noob to diesels. Im thinkin I have a weak transfer pump. When truck runs there is no fuel smell, odd noises or other starting problems. JUST IN THE MORNING:shrug:

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like you are losing prime or its sucking air. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
You have air in your fuel line like what was stated above. More than likely your fuel filter.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just dont get why it only does it when its cold out. I can park it for 8 hours overnight and it will do it in the morning when I go and start it but if its over 40 degrees I can let it sit for the whole weekend and no problems starting it. I guess the thing to do would be to do a fluid and filter change. I just got the truck about three weeks ago and all fluids look good and filters are new. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help and any and all new ideas appreciated. :woot:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
There is a check valve in the in the fuel filter housing that tends to go bad and acts the worst when the fuel is cold and is more diffecult to pull through the line. Changing of the fuel filter is the first thing to try, being sure you remove the old filter seal and installing the new on properly. I put grease on the oring to make sure it stayed in place while reinstalling.

Hope this helps and I hope that the check valve is not bad.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
1) There is a block heater cord on the pass side of the engine, in the wire loom that runsdown to the engine between the airbox and coolant tank. Unwrap that cord, and plug your truck in at night when the temps will be below 30*. Using a timer to turn the heater on for a couple hours in the AM before you leave is a good idea. It'll help your glowplugs when you start your truck in the AM.

2) You shouldnt have to cycle the glowplugs in a Dmax more than once, even in 30* weather. Doing it more than that just drains your batteries. I've never had to cycle more than the one time to start, even in 0* temps.

3) Your fuel staving problem is probably as above....clogged fuel filter or leaking O-ring at the filter. Change the filter out and see what happens.

·
188 Posts
How many tanks of fuel have you gone through? Maybe bad fuel too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts