The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on this board! When I start my truck on cold mornings it sometimes sounds like a car hitting a rev limiter, except at idle speed. Like a fast fluctuation of fuel-no fuel-fuel-no fuel. If I give it a little throttle it goes away, let off it will do it again unless I hold the throttle for a few seconds. I think it sounds kind of cool, but is this a sign of other problems to come? I have no diesel experiance yet. Oh yes, for anyone out there on the hunt for mpg...this thing got 23mpg stock on the last two tanks.

·
2,509 Posts
welcome to the site
You may just have some bad glow plugs causing the engine to hit poorly on a couple of cylinders, and makeing it loap untill it warms up. Dose it soke a lot when you first start it up? dose it do the same thing if you plug in the block heater?

is that a Lincon mark 8 that you have running 12.3's or what is that?

·
1,726 Posts
I would also bet that it is something to do with the glow plug system. Could be the Glow plug relay, wiring, or the glow plugs themselves.

Check out this post in the Ford Tech Articles. It has some good info to get started diagnosing.

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't seen a block heater on the truck yet. This used to be a fleet construction truck, so its rather stripped down. Doesn't even have the hardware to mount a spare tire! Ok, I'll check the glow plugs. They don't look too hard to replace. Yeah, thats my 4300 # Lincoln Mark 8. Cool thing about it is that it turns 1.60-1.65 60ft on a drag radial, and it'll do it on the street too. I have no problem stomping people at the stop lights. Its all up to bottle pressure. I keep it up around 1100#, sometimes overfilled.

·
2,509 Posts
if you have a block heater it should be on the left hand side of the engine just above the oil filter it could just be missing the cord for some reason.

I bet you have a lot of fun in that lincon. If it was mine i would do every thing possible to make it look like a old mans car and then just blow the doors off of every kid i could find with a mustang or camaro sitting at stoplights.:sly:

·
0 Posts
Yep...I was thinking ebpv as well. If somebody doesn't know what that is...like myself when I first got my truck...and it kicked in...my first though was WTF did I just break on my truck. LOL

·
1,726 Posts
Does the engine seem to run rough and shake the truck when this happens?
If it doesn't it probably is the EBPV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts