The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Alberta Canada we had a mass of Alison tranny failures in the last cold weather snap - 500 + trucks out of commision, I heard the # is higher & up to two months wait time on Alison trannys, 6 speeds

When the truck goes into high idle in park the trannys were burning up, no oil circulating do to some small solonoid or what ever freezing off, fix for now put your truck in neutral to idle to save the trannys.:mafia

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A service hand for a large oilfield company in Alberta, BC, Sask was driving a rental Ford V10 -which he hated - asked him why he was driving a rental, said his company 08 3500 Duramax/Alison burn up his tranny, took it in to see what was wrong with it - was in limp mode, the tech went out & pulled his dipstick, smelled the horrible burnt tranny fluid ( His words ) came back in & stated another Alison down get in line - up to 2 months wait times.The company he works for have quite a few down, thats just one company & have heard of way more.That is how I first heard of this, then started asking around & found out that there in almost every shop in Alberta. Not kidding.

On a note most of these trucks were in the Alberta oilfield, they idle for extreeme periods cold or warm out.

My wifes 07 Duramax/ Alison had an issue in the exteeme cold as well last week, she started it up & let it idle only -38 that morning started heading for town & a service light came on then she could only travel at 40 kph max, took it into the garage, waiting to see whats wrong with this one now, hopefully not the tranny.It was awesome untill this.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Found on another site

The recall on the tranny in cold weather is apparently caused by too much pressure in the allison during extreme coldweather starts. It's an LMM thing but the results are cracked housings. Recall is a program change to limit pressure on cold weather starts.

F

·
0 Posts
WOW, good thing I live in Florida LOL If I saw -35 weather my head would crack LOL

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Funny this happened to a transmission that's been in the field running like a champ for over a decade in medium duty trucks all over the world.

So it's an LMM thing only? LBZ, LLY not affected?

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Apparently some LBZ's are affected. Watch for leaking fluid apparently caused by a poor crimp on the connectors.

F

·
0 Posts
Rcannon said:
Apparently some LBZ's are affected. Watch for leaking fluid apparently caused by a poor crimp on the connectors.
That's a long standing problem. Mine does it, every now and again. Seperate issued from cracked housings due to cold weather pressures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are also some LBZ,s.
Most of these trucks the Tranys burned up, when cold in park some valve I believe is closing, the oil in the trans is not circulating & frying them.
The dealer recommendation, at least here is when Idling in cold temps is to apply the emergency & put the truck in nuetral. I have talked to quite a few oilfield workers that are driving rentals & they all tell me the same thing as I stated. Tranny oil burnt & really stinks a common statement.

Every dealer in Alberta has some waiting on parts or full trans.
The (small) dealer Im working fairly close to has 35 waiting for repairs.:shrug:

Still waiting the fate of the wifes truck.:mafia

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
From what I read all it takes is a quick reprogramming at the dealer to fix the cold trans. oil circulation before tragedy strikes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - thanks.
A little late here on the info from Gm, Awesome engine-tranny combo IMO
some times a minor issue turns into a major.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Isn't it strange how these failures in software don't surface until the trucks hit the streets?

Look at Ford with the flamethrower tailpipes and the bad radiators.

Dodge with the bad check ball valves in the transmissions and the killer dowel pins and now the sensor problems.

Allison transmissions have been operating in the coldest climates for decades, you'd think the newest trucks with a tranny that's been in service for over a decade would have the least problems.

How can this stuff STILL BE HAPPENING in 2008?

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Duke said:
How can this stuff STILL BE HAPPENING in 2008?
Supplier dependent Duke.
Take supplier A - does a fantastic job of producing product, quality is good.

Uh oh, Supplier B can do it cheaper, give him the business. But first Supplier B has to pass all the tests with their test samples and prototype samples.

So Supplier B is extremely careful with their initial sample size and everything works great...until you get to full blown production, then it's all about the numbers. Don't let anybody tell you anything different. Quality is NOT job 1. Numbers are.

Who gets the blame? The auto companies.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Rcannon said:
Supplier dependent Duke.
Take supplier A - does a fantastic job of producing product, quality is good.

Uh oh, Supplier B can do it cheaper, give him the business. But first Supplier B has to pass all the tests with their test samples and prototype samples.

So Supplier B is extremely careful with their initial sample size and everything works great...until you get to full blown production, then it's all about the numbers. Don't let anybody tell you anything different. Quality is NOT job 1. Numbers are.

Who gets the blame? The auto companies.
I agree, but Allison???? You'd think they'd have all their stuff wrapped-up pretty tight by now.....they've been stuffing 1000 series trannies under GMHD's for almost a decade. I guess the programming is at fault. Seems to coincide with the intro of the LBZ. Maybe something in the trans changed, I dunno.

F

·
0 Posts
Obviously TCM tuning changed. That is not uncommon for a new model year. The good thing is GM is standing behind the mishap.

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
As I reported back in winter of 05 , but i cant find my post . Just dont cold idle in park is our company policy . Transynd still has too a high of viscosity in -40 Cel. Temps

The Problem Is With The 2006-2008 Allison Transmissions Is
Due To The Extreme -40 Cel. Temps .

When The Truck Is Started And Idling, The Transmission Control
Module Will Pulse The Transmission Torque Convertor Clutch On
And lock C2 , C3 to load the engine to Aid In Quicker Warm Up Of The Transmission And The Oil. But What Is Happening Is The Oil In The Transmission Oil Cooler And Cooler Hoses Is Gelled Not Allowing For Fluid Flow.
How Ever The Oil In The Converter Is Being Overheated Causing The
Converter To Turn Blue Resulting In The Burn't Oil Smell.

When You Check The Oil It Will Not Be Discolored Like A Slipping Clutch, It Will Look Like An Amber Color And Have A Burn't Smell.

See Your Gm Dealer And They Will Provide You With The Necessary
Information.

If The Torque Convertor Is Blue From Overheating, It Must Be Replaced...

New Transmission Software Calibrations Are Available For The
Transmission Control Module For This Concern. As Well As Synthetic Transmission Oil Called Trans Synd

The Failures Can Range From Just A Torque Convertor Replacement, Software Calibrations, And Synthetic Transmission Oil. To Entire
Transmission Replacements Depending On The Failure When Transmission Is Disassembled.

This Is Only For The 2006-2008 Model Years, 6 Spd Allisons

1 - 20 of 30 Posts