The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 F350. It has been getting tougher and slower to start in near zero to 10 degree conditions. Yesterday was a no go at all. Some fire but very little. Even had it plugged in. Air filter, fuel filter and oil changed last week. I'm new to diesels - help?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
How old are the batteries? These trucks need a lot of cranking power to fire them up.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Check the glow plugs and/or glow plug relay. Same thing happened to me last week! Had to wrap a concrete blanket around the truck and stick a kerosene heater underneath the engine and nuked it for a couple of hours, Then it fired up and i could drive the thing into a warm place to check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batteries were installed last summer. New alternator.

I bought the truck in June and the previous owner really took good care of her!

·
Supporting Vendor
484 Posts
Where are you located, you had the truck plugged in and it wouldn't fire? What motor oil are you running? It would help a lot to switch to a lower weight oil if your still running 15W40, I run the the 5W40 Shell Rotella in the winter months, and it makes a big difference. I would say you also want to check you glow plug system.

Send me your email address, and I can send you something to help you troubleshoot the system.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Michigan. I just put 5-40 synthetic in the truck two weeks ago. Changed the oil, air and fuel filters. I'm too inexperienced with diesels to know what to look at next. But I really like my Big Boy's Truck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts