The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an idea for more horsepower out of your powerstroke. Do you all think if you got rid of the Heui injection system and made a common rail injection system that you could pull a 1000hp like a duramax or a cummins? I know it would problably be expensive but there should be someone out there with deep pockets and the knowledge to make it work. Let me know what you all think.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
there have been a few post between here and other sites. Pretty much saying that "someone" was working on one. However that is all the info/Rumors that have been said.

Unless someone knows something new?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not quite the same thing, but has anyone else heard about the sled puller in the midwest who runs a P-pumped Powerstroke?

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
Yah i seen a video of it however i thought the was the T444e's big brother engine?

·
1,921 Posts
Stroker01 said:
Here is an idea for more horsepower out of your powerstroke. Do you all think if you got rid of the Heui injection system and made a common rail injection system that you could pull a 1000hp like a duramax or a cummins? I know it would problably be expensive but there should be someone out there with deep pockets and the knowledge to make it work. Let me know what you all think.

There are a couple people working on it. Dave at DI is one.

·
862 Posts
gtspowerstroke said:
There are a couple people working on it. Dave at DI is one.
If it is successfully installed in a PSD, Dave's Snow White will probably be the truck it debuts in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Michael said:
Not quite the same thing, but has anyone else heard about the sled puller in the midwest who runs a P-pumped Powerstroke?

Regards,
Michael Pliska
That sled puller's name is Ben Miller.... the truck is called Double Overtime.

There are some hood off pictures, and videos posted on the net, but I don't have the links at the moment.

It is a 7.3 block BTW.

·
Still Strokin
163 Posts
Stroker01 said:

I've heard something about using the high pressure oil rail for as a fuel rail, but that was on a 6.0

If the head can take the pressure, and some one will make injectors for it. Yea you could do it but, R&D are going to cost BIG $$$$$$$.

I would love to get away from the HEUI, that would mean i would have to go with cummins or d-max and thats not going to happen! If i'm going to spend big $$$$$ i would rather go with common rail than a p-pump cuz no limit to injection stroke!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't believe that Double Overtime uses a P-pump. If that is the blue truck with the big Blue Oval weight on the front then it uses the pump off an E9 Mack.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It'd come down to more than just the common rail. I don't know, but I've heard the Dirty's got better flowing heads. Plus programming, plus everything else that adds up.

Whos to say if it would, but it WOULD cost you alot more than just starting off with a Dirtymax to begin with.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
u would be better off buying a dmax

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
Yah, That or if and when the time i decide i want to push numbers like that a CR conversion would be much more feasable. there seems to be alot to getting the 7.3 up there. Not to mention for those of us with PMR engines.

·
2,509 Posts
1040 WreckerMan said:
I don't believe that Double Overtime uses a P-pump. If that is the blue truck with the big Blue Oval weight on the front then it uses the pump off an E9 Mack.
heres a link to some info about ben millers truck but know one on there knows for shure what kind of pump it last I heard was it an international pump like off a v800 or something.http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37001

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
I think with the amount of money involved with the R&R and upgrades on the powerstroke that you could probably transplant a Duramax into the ford body.

In the money vs. sense rank-o-meter, this one would be a high 8. It would be cool as hell, but dang it would be expensive.

·
2,509 Posts
:poke: anyone can swapout one engine for a different one, but if you take an engine that many have given up on and make it beat or at least run with all those other cookie cutter trucks. that is what makes you stand out from the rest. to me its not about having the fastest or most cost effective truck, its about haveing somethig I can be proud to dtrive around in.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Talking about the cost to RnR a powerstroke is far less than SWAPPING a different engine in. It doesn't cost to make a PMR engine build big HP as any other 7.3 PowerStroke. At a level of HP to be completive with the big dogs any 7.3 will need stuff like billet rods.

It's funny that diesel trucks are one of the most inexpensive forms of racing and guys constantly complain about the money. I can't say much about a Duramax as I have only worked with those in commercial applications. However I do have a 6BTA 5.9 Cummins that is moderately high HP. To get to 400-500HP the Cummins wins the cheap award. After 450 or so game on, no matter what engine you run you'll spend close to the same amount of money.

Ya, the 7.3 isn't quite capable of 1000HP yet, but it's getting close. If you are talking about 700+HP you are talking the difference in dollars of about 1 to maybe 3500 bucks. 1500 bucks when you are spending 25K on an engine, if done correctly, is not much of a difference.

The only issue for a CR conversion for the 7.3 is having the engine management electronics developed. Casting new heads is no big deal. I've done it and I don't have any money to speak of. If guys like the Rue brothers had the same attitude guys would have given up on nitro fuel drag cars long ago. But they didn't.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pontiacross said:
:poke: anyone can swapout one engine for a different one, but if you take an engine that many have given up on and make it beat or at least run with all those other cookie cutter trucks. that is what makes you stand out from the rest. to me its not about having the fastest or most cost effective truck, its about haveing somethig I can be proud to dtrive around in.
:Thumbup: I feel that pontiacross has said it for me that it is about sticking with the 7.3L and making it run with or beat those other trucks! The 7.3L has the displacement to put out some numbers all it needs is some attention!

·
1,921 Posts
dlopp said:
If i'm going to spend big $$$$$ i would rather go with common rail than a p-pump cuz no limit to injection stroke!
Endless injection cycle does you no good if you can't maintain injection pressure which seems to be what's limiting the CR engines. They are doing dual pumps now to fix that problem but I have still yet to see a CR engine beat the top P-pumped engines out there.

1040 WreckerMan said:
What kind of pump does an E9 Mack run? Looking at the pics it sure looks like a P pump to me.

1040 WreckerMan said:
It's funny that diesel trucks are one of the most inexpensive forms of racing and guys constantly complain about the money. I can't say much about a Duramax as I have only worked with those in commercial applications. However I do have a 6BTA 5.9 Cummins that is moderately high HP. To get to 400-500HP the Cummins wins the cheap award. After 450 or so game on, no matter what engine you run you'll spend close to the same amount of money.

The only issue for a CR conversion for the 7.3 is having the engine management electronics developed. Casting new heads is no big deal. I've done it and I don't have any money to speak of. If guys like the Rue brothers had the same attitude guys would have given up on nitro fuel drag cars long ago. But they didn't.
I agree about people bitching about the cost to build these engines. I think this sport is so young yet that it hasn't really hit main stream where the guys with the big bucks is putting out everything they have to come out and lay it all on the line like in other forms of drag raceing and sled pulling. For the most part it's average joes building their trucks up in their spare time and actually driving many of them everyday that are competing. And honestly I think that's awsome that a sport can be like that. I'm sure it will grow up like many others but for now it's still pretty small.

I don't see the point in casting new heads. The HEUI injectors are much larger than many others and there is no reasy a slug can't be machined to be put in the stock injector bore and machined out to run a comon rail injector. I don't think the HPO rail would hold up to the pressure especially with how big it is. 25,000 psi pushing against that much area would most likely blow the rail right out of the head. But there isn't any reason there can't be plumbing run to it. And as for software to run it it sounds like the D-max stuff will do it. I know a few guys that are doing this conversion are running D-max stuff but I think Lott said he was working on his own that just ran the powertrain and didn't have all the other crap the D-max computer runs.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I look a Swap not for just cost benifit but also ease. I spent to many Hours Tearing apart engines with friends and for myself I dont have the time and honestly dont really care to anymore. Im not trying to get to 1000hp Heck i dont know that after I complete my next step that i will want to go beyond that. But I do know If and when i do want to go beyond that there is more work then time that i will have. As far as being like everyone else....its hard not be like everyone else there are very few truck that lead the way im already not one of those.

·
Still Strokin
163 Posts
pontiacross said:
:poke: anyone can swapout one engine for a different one, but if you take an engine that many have given up on and make it beat or at least run with all those other cookie cutter trucks. that is what makes you stand out from the rest. to me its not about having the fastest or most cost effective truck, its about haveing somethig I can be proud to drive around in.
:Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :agreed:

I'm proud of my 7.3 and have high hopes for it. It's all about being diffrent, every body and there mother builds a high hp cummins and i know why they do, cuz there cheeper to build, i don't want to be like everyone else, i want to be the one of the few with a pissed off 7.3.

Endless injection cycle does you no good if you can't maintain injection pressure which seems to be what's limiting the CR engines. They are doing dual pumps now to fix that problem but I have still yet to see a CR engine beat the top P-pumped engines out there.
Yea, I know. Them running dual HP pumps is no diffrent than us running dual HPOP to make big power. You can only do so much with stock parts then you need to start up grading. I really like the CR for the reason that it will make big power and can change tunning to drive it to work. You cant do that with a p-pumped engine. You can do that with HEUI but with CR you eliminate the HPO system. My reason for that is a lot of guys dont want a full pleadged truck that only pulls or races ect..., youll have a lot of guys that want big power to play with and still drive to work on monday.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.