The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, im no stranger to trucks, but I am however fairly new to diesels.

I have found a truck that I am planning on buying. A '97 2500 12v with a 5-spd. 203k

I want her to lay a decently thick cloud of smoke, but I will be driving it EVERY day for the next 3-4 years. A few of my close friends are Diesel fanatics, with one or two of them being 12v boys. My plans are a 4" straight pipe with a 5 or 6" tip, Aftermarket Intake, and slide my fuel plate all the way up. I will be putting in Boost and EGT guages for sure. Is this a decent plan for a DD cummins? I will pull a 20ft lanscaping dump trailer 6-7 times a month.

Also-Anything I need to look at at the current miles? How much longer befor I start to have to worry about milage being a problem?

Thanks,
Omaha 12v

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Omaha 12v said:
Alright, im no stranger to trucks, but I am however fairly new to diesels.

I have found a truck that I am planning on buying. A '97 2500 12v with a 5-spd. 203k

I want her to lay a decently thick cloud of smoke, but I will be driving it EVERY day for the next 3-4 years. A few of my close friends are Diesel fanatics, with one or two of them being 12v boys. My plans are a 4" straight pipe with a 5 or 6" tip, Aftermarket Intake, and slide my fuel plate all the way up. I will be putting in Boost and EGT guages for sure. Is this a decent plan for a DD cummins? I will pull a 20ft lanscaping dump trailer 6-7 times a month.

Also-Anything I need to look at at the current miles? How much longer befor I start to have to worry about milage being a problem?

Thanks,
Omaha 12v
Take care of that KDP and sounds good to me. How thick do you want that smoke to be?

Smokem said:
I would not slide the plate full forward with a 913 pump, are you located in Omaha?
Why not?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
calm down, i dont see why you wouldnt slide the plate in it either, well maybe i will call you out to explane yourself instead of just saying dont do it

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hey, I just like 12 valves so I'm trying to keep up with them. It was just a question nothing else no attitude intended, thank you for answering.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well he did mention a 4 inch exhaust and an intake, so the egts should be ok with a stock plate slid forward, and the clutch you might be able to baby until you get a new one

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah im located in omaha.

A new clutch might be a ways down the line. How much could I slide the plate without clutch problems? And KDP would stand for what? Like I said, pretty new to diesel...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Grind the stock plate flat set it at 50%, lighten the tension on the AFC spring about 75% forward and get a boost elbow. KDP is the dowel pin that aligns the front cover to the block, bad news if it dislodges itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KDP=Killer Dowel Pin, alright I remember reading about that. Whats the fix for that, or do you just watch/keep tabs on it?

AFC spring, is that the star wheel that controlls 0 boost fuel?

Grind the fuel plate flat, set it 50% forward?

Once again sorry, just trying to do my best to protect my investment.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Tab the dowel pin, not that difficult but somewhat time consuming. Yes grind the plate to what is commonly known as a #0 and set it half way forward. The starwheel is one adjustment of the AFC, set it so there is just a touch of pressure on the spring, if you relieve too much pressure the spring will slide front to back on the shaft inside the housing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so far Ive got...

1. Grind stock plate and set to 50%
2. Adjust star wheel tension
3. Tab the KDP
4. Boost Elbow (For wastegate, right?)
5. 4" Straight pipe
6. Intake
7. Guages

I know the 96-98's were the highest HP 12valves, so what kind of numbers am I going to be looking at for HP/Torque? And if I leave the rest of the truck stock with this will I be alright? Boost will be a little under 30psi If I have read correctly.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You may see closer to 35psi and I would have the timing adjusted to 15* static. The 913 and 887 pumps often provide high hp numbers but are restricted at higher rack travel and RPM due to the retard notch in the plunger head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, so all these mods accounted for, im not risking any severe damage to my engine.

And how important is the timing? I was told these stock turbo's are only good for around 30Psi.

Removing silencer ring give any HP increase, or just sound...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
timing is fairly important, it will improve power, and lower egts, but it will also raise cylander pressure so dont go above about 16-16.5 on a stock head gasket, as for the HX35 they are good for about 37 psi then they start heating the air, you will be fine with 30 psi, as for the silencer ring all it does it make the turbo louder, no hp increase or loss

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cutting the plate to a #0 is looking to be a little much for me... What about cutting it to a #10 and moving it to 50% forward?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts