The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member from Philly area - have wanted a diesel for a long time, but always had gas trucks and vans. I have found a diesel bucket van that would be perfect for my business. It's a 98 Chevy 3500 with only 75K miles on the 6.5 Litre Turbo Diesel - pre-Duramax days I think. I know little/nothing about this vintage/motor. Can anyone help? Is this a good motor? Mileage estimates? Lifespan? Noise? Anything? All comments welcome. (I have to convince my wife it's worth the cost to upgrade from my 93 Ford E350 w/ 351 v8.) Thanx in advance.
-H
[email protected]

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Yes the 6.5's were pre duramaxes. The engine is a discussion that is up for the count. Some like it, but most have seen better engines. As far as reliability, you won't see many 6.5s make 300k as you would a cummins or powerstroke of the same era. The 6.5s were notorious for cooling problems which therefore limited the lifespan of the engine. The turbo can't sustain high boost levels that the holsets on the cummins/garretts on the powerstrokes can handle. I believe that the stock configuration of the gm turbo is about 10psi max. However, these 6.5s can return decent economy: ive seen some one tons that can return up to 20mpg with good gearing and a light foot. With the miles that this truck has on it, i would take a chance and maybe prove some people wrong if it is indeed a good deal, but if you plan on putting 200k + miles on this truck, as far as reliability goes, you might want to look around for an early cummins. What is the price anyways? And the features so we can help tell you if its a fair deal?

·
2,951 Posts
One of my co-workers had a 1998 6.5 crewcab 1-ton dual wheel truck and could get 18-20 mpg. I would allways mess with him about it being slow but he would allways show me what kind of fuel mileage he was getting. He would pull a 24 ft trailer at over 12k lbs every two weeks and he loved the truck. So I would take a good look at the truck(van) with that kind of mileage. But depends on the price too. Hope this helps,

:welcome2: to the garage :Thumbup:

Lonnie

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
:welcome2:to TDG!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome to the Garage!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts