The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm considering getting rid of my 7.3 Power Stroke for a Cummins. Whatever I buy will be a 24 Valve with either 3:55's or 3:73's for gearing. Transmission is up in the air. Most likely be whatever is in the truck I find.

I'd like to hear some mileage that you guys are averaging with your 24 Valves. Stock would help the most, then followed by what you're getting on a tuner and what tuner you're using. I'm averaging about 10 MPG pulling a 7K trailer and 16 running empty with my Power Stroke. I can't afford to keep driving at these fuel prices and that mileage. I don't want to put a good bit of money into upgrades for the Power Stroke and still get edited mileage when I can go Cummins and have a better motor and better mileage (I hope). Gimme some help here!!!

I was going to put this in the 24 Valve forum, but I think it will get more attention in here than in there.

B

·
0 Posts
I can not advise on mileage other than what I have heard from others since I own a 12v. However I do know that 3:73 gears are only available in the 3rd gen trucks unless you swap them in yourself.

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
I have a 2000 Cummins, 373's and stock, unloaded on the Hwy, I would average around 19-20 mpg, in the city around 14-15.

Now with my mods (see sig..) I can see around 18-23 on the Hwy, and I get a great 18- 19 in the city!

My truck also has 237,500 miles on it and is running stronger than ever.

Find a truck with a solid body, and check fuel pressure before you buy, or find out if the truck your looking at has had a recent Lift Pump or injection pump...the weak links of the 981/2-02's. Dont be too afraid of Mileage.

Here in northern Indiana today, There is an 01 3500 dually with just 144K for sale for 12,500. Anyway, they are out there.

·
4,827 Posts
I'd get the 3.55 gears. They'll be fine with 7k. Just don't don't get any tires over 33". I'd get a manual trans, too, unless you can find a truck with a built auto (read tighter T/C than stock).

If setup correctly, I've heard of both the 12v and 24v engines getting 19+. My dually w/4.10s (before the flatbed) was getting 16mpg stock. Then 17.5 after BOMBing. Now, I'm around 12 empty (mostly short trips under 15 miles) with the flatbed. :( Around 10mpg with a loaded trailer. Don't get to drive my truck much, so I don't really care what the mileage is I'm getting. A tank will last me better than a month sometimes. May put the dually box back on someday.

Friend of mine has a 3rd Gen truck and it is getting 19mpg.

·
1,189 Posts
last trip out towing with my 01 auto with 355's and a 30' goosneck horsetrailer that weighs 7k empty I got 15 but that was on flat highway. But have never seen under 13 when doing a lot of in town while towing. getting 19 on the highway at 80. Could probably get better but I use my right foot. truck has 33's on it. I had the edge on 2 when towing and on 3 when I was getting the highway miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whats up man I got a 99 ram for sale in NJ it has 160000k on it. The truck itself is relatively stock I only have a bullydog module in it which only pumps out another 50 horse. The mileage I was running I want to say was20 miles highway 16 city. The truck is a 2500 short bed 4X4 I am selling it with a Leer Fiberglass Cap. The trans is auto and brand new (Have the receipts to prove this). Let me know if you are interested. I dont want to trade for your powerstoke I have an 03 Ram now

·
Registered
86 Posts
2000 dodge 24v with 3:55s pulling 42ft 5th wheel, im getting 14 highway, without trailer, highway im getting 25.... the wonders of the 6 speed....
im definitly not stock but thats a lil idea for you...
i have injectors,wastegate, comp chip, smarty programmer, 5inch exhaust, k&n intake, fass bypass pump,

·
237 Posts
I know, posting in the wrong forum, but how many miles on the 97, hate or "extremely dislike" the auto I've got in the 96.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
John_DeereGreen said:
Should this Power Stroke blow....."SLIGHTLY" BUILT POWER STROKE; NO CUMMAPART HERE!!!
Funny the change:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts