The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to install a 1987 6.9 into a 1968 International 1 ton.
Both were standard trannies but only have the bellhousing from the International.
I know almost nothing about diesel conversions, need advice on bolt ups, fuel supply, wiring, and cooling. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You are lucky!

Never having done this, but wanting to ('67 Travelall) and from my years working for an all IH fleet I believe that the FW housing on the gas engine in the '68 will bolt to the 6.9L w/o any problem.

The 6.9L has the same FW housing pattern as the MV404/MV446 and from what I recall that is the same as the V304/345/392 as well.

Reactions: Sherman

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John G
I think its cool that the first reply is from a fellow Texan, I live in Nacogdoches, about 1 hour away.
I'm torn a little about this conversion, its an all original 1 ton dually that my Father left to me when he passed. it used to be a service truck for International tractor, it has a gin pole and winch driven by a PTO, on an actual International Service Bed (never seen one before) and just in pristine Barn find condition. Should I or Shouldn't I ????

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Well replacement gas engines are relatively inexpensive (V304/345/392 anyway) and with a modern pointless ignition are MUCH more reliable than before and if you go the extra step of ditching the stock Holley for a more modern carb w/o a power valve (they are THE major problem on these engines) you have a reliable and 99.9% stock truck. that should be more valuable than a converted one.

But if you plan to use it, even infrequently, it might make better sense to convert because the fuel cost will be significant as a gasser.

Reactions: Sherman

·
17 Posts
jg, you are partially right, the 6.9 has the same bolt pattern as a mv404/446, but that is NOT the same as a v-series 345 type engine.
the v-series is almost perfectly round, and the mv aint!!

i kick myself in the butt for not taking the bellhousing off an old loadstar w/mv404 that was getting scrapped, because i wanted to do this same swap....
tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts