The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cat SDP that keeps blowing head gaskets. VVAs are off so the stock high compression pistons are too much. Does anybody know what the Cat part numbers are for the correct low compression pistons? Should I be looking for 15.2:1 or 16:1? I've been told I have 18:1 Pistons now. Serial #SDP04546. All liner protrusions are close to .0045. I'm considering counter boring and shimming to .005. Appreciate any help.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located machinist? I can't find a machine shop in my area that wants to shave the pistons. Is it as easy as taking .080" right of the top or is there more to it than that?

·
2,824 Posts
I have a Cat SDP that keeps blowing head gaskets. VVAs are off so the stock high compression pistons are too much. Does anybody know what the Cat part numbers are for the correct low compression pistons? Should I be looking for 15.2:1 or 16:1? I've been told I have 18:1 Pistons now. Serial #SDP04546. All liner protrusions are close to .0045. I'm considering counter boring and shimming to .005. Appreciate any help.
There is a shop in Ohio that can make your 18:1 pistons 16:1 without just cutting material off the crown, they match them to the 16:1 by machining the bowl to make them identical.

·
631 Posts
10R-7172 cylinder packs are 16.0:1 for industrial C15 Acert engines. These are expensive and hard to get at times from Cat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what benefits would one gain by dropping the compression ratio? Other than less risk of blown head gasket?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts