The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know for you guys with aftermarket billet converters, What stall speed did you go with and did you notice a big difference on acceleration like they all claim to?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I got a low stall (not sure of the speed). And yes, you accelerate faster. A t/c alone changes everything in a truck. If I had a Auto in my latest truck. It would have already had a t/c. That'd be the first thing I'd do to anything if it was a auto. I can't put enough emphasis on that.

The only downside is they like to stall out in the winter when you put it into gear when the trany is cold.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah what Nathanal said a V/B is great too. With the combination of both and you more than double the longivity and power capability of your transmission. Not to mention better fuel MPG and a even in stock form the truck feels like a race car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to put in my sig that I just rebuilt everything a couple weeks ago. Well the converter has gone flat and Im gonna pull it to have it split open to change the stator and tighten up the clearences and I just wanted to hear everyones opinion and thoughts.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You can expect alot of people in favor of Dave Goerend or Goerend brothers, whatever.

Suncoast ain't bad either. I have a ATS 5star but they are a little over priced. I'm still statisfied though. On top of that usually aftermarket converters usually have drain plugs unlike their stock counterparts.

·
3,514 Posts
Mines a Dunrite, which as I understand it is what DTT has been using for a long time. I'm still having trouble with the trans kicking into limp mode cause of my gov. pressure, but when its not in limp and all working right, its impressive.
Sean

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Phily 911 said:
You can expect alot of people in favor of Dave Goerend or Goerend brothers, whatever.

Suncoast ain't bad either. I have a ATS 5star but they are a little over priced. I'm still statisfied though. On top of that usually aftermarket converters usually have drain plugs unlike their stock counterparts.
I havnt heard much good out of SunCoast...I know several Ford guys that HATE them...one good buddy went through 2 TC's w/ only a Juice w/ A-Tude...but I have no experience with them. Everyone I know has ATS and Goerend.

Nathaniel

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
sstockton said:
Mines a Dunrite, which as I understand it is what DTT has been using for a long time. I'm still having trouble with the trans kicking into limp mode cause of my gov. pressure, but when its not in limp and all working right, its impressive.
Sean

What's it reading at your test port? Are you losing 1 and 2?

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah I'm getting 2nd gear starts. Bill at DTT told me that that is because my gov. pressure is higher than the PCM thinks it should be, because the trans is built that way, and that all of their transmissions need a voltage regulator, to bypass the stock signal and make it shift properly. This wiring thing just has me thrown for a loop, but I have the voltage regulator installed and adjusted to the proper voltage, I just need to get it hooked into the right wire and that should be it, hopefully.

HC- I've had a couple friends go the ATS route, with fully built transmissions, and both of them completely destroyed the trans. 1 sold the trans and went with an NADP which is supposed to be a pretty solid trans, and the other switched to a common rail with a G56.
Sean

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:hijacked:

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
sstockton said:
HC- I've had a couple friends go the ATS route, with fully built transmissions, and both of them completely destroyed the trans. 1 sold the trans and went with an NADP which is supposed to be a pretty solid trans, and the other switched to a common rail with a G56.
Sean
I have 2 really good friends that have gone ATS...1 had a problem w/ Input Shaft, it snapped but it wasnt Billet, and the other one It is great I ride w/ him around campus, and home. The only problem he had was w/ his VB, but it was stupidity on installation not ATS's fault. I personally was going to go w/ them, but had some customer service problems, and called Dave!

Nathaniel

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Ya it sounds like that's all Dave does is Dodge Diesel Transmissions. That's why I'd go that route. Espically in the event of a problem. You know you are half to getting to talk to the right person vs. some place like ATS where you'd keep on having to get your call directed somewhere else.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I could knock the pressure down, but I really don't want to drop the pan again and drain everything. So I will see what they say today and hopefully get it on the road by this afternoon. Its already in the shop just waiting and it should only be cutting and splicing one wire.
Sean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts