The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've I'm getting ready to embark on a journey to convert my 98.5 Cummins to have a Eletric cooling fan, anyone have any input on this?
I'm not for sure if I'll gain that much MPG it already does over 20 in town. I'm doing it mainly for faster warm ups. Any gain in Mileage is going to be a plus. I'd like some people's imput if they think this is a good or bad idea. Tips suggestions anything else.........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,478 Posts
If you need a big twin fan set up let me know I can make you a good deal on it.

Flex-a-Lite 27'' Electric Puller Fan

Gain 18HP+ and Save 2-3 MPG!

Designed to fit mid-size cars, trucks and SUV's. Powerful twin 13.5'' fans can pull up to 4600 cfm with a max 28 amp draw. Compact one piece glass-reinforced nylon shroud features a full contact rubber seal and unique air flow flaps that allow

Link http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_22563_-1_10117
 

·
Member
Joined
·
80 Posts
i dont think it will help with warm up because the thermostat isnt going to open until the engine reaches operating temp anyway. i think money could be spent on something else and get more hp and mpg than fans.and rember those numbers that wastedwagesracing gave you are probably from a gas engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
goto woodruffdiesel.com he will know
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
OFFRODEN said:
i dont think it will help with warm up because the thermostat isnt going to open until the engine reaches operating temp anyway. i think money could be spent on something else and get more hp and mpg than fans.and rember those numbers that wastedwagesracing gave you are probably from a gas engine
:whs

A diesel has such a low idle temperature that it takes longer for them to warm up compared to a gas motor. That is why cylinder washdown is such a concern on diesel engines that idle for long periods of time or are driven and never reach operating temperature.

The fans would be used more in a cooling situation where you need more airflow. The stock fan on a Cummins provides more than enough air flow to keep the motor cool even on the hotest days. Unless you are just wanting to free up a couple HP "probably no more than a couple on a diesel motor" or just spend money, I say forget the fan and put yourself a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
yeah, I'm looking for faster warm ups too. After I got my truck really hot earlier this summer, it takes a bit longer for it to warm up. I'm thinking of installing a new theromstat, but i don't know, it takes a solid 10minutes of driving now to reach operating temps. And over 5mins to get the needle to move.
Sean
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
411 Posts
For faster warm ups you will either have to up the idle rpm or go with some sort of a winter cover. Like Bouncer said, a good heavy peace of cardboard or a thin peace of plywood works just as good as anything.

DB
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
yeah, thats what I've heard. As for me though, last winter I it wasn't taking as long, and it isn't wasn't much faster during late summer either. I do know that I lot of guys will plug their trucks in so they get a faster warm up, even if you don't need it to start the truck.
Sean
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there is a re-flash for the 24v trucks that enables a high idle option.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
Bouncer said:
If I am not mistaken, there is a re-flash for the 24v trucks that enables a high idle option.
I believe that they just have to turn it on, but that is only on 01's and 02's. If you can do it for an any 24v, I'm going to go get it done right away. I'll probably go call the Dealership and find out. I want to be able to adjust it with the cruise control buttons, thats hot. If not I'll go get the knob style idle adjust.
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to replace the Thermostat as well !
I already got all the fans and electical stuff for it to work.
I wouldn't mind seeing if I can unlock a few extra horses and maybe see another 1 mpg on the highway. I already have the radiator covered up with cardboard. Cost ain't to much of a concern for me if it'll SAFELY increase my MPG. I'm actually shooting for maxing out my MPG on this truck.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I might be wrong, but I would bet you will not notice a MPG increase on a diesel motor by not running the fan. If you do, I would think it will not be until warm weather when your fan clutch would be engaged a lot more often than in Winter.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
411 Posts
The high idle functioin or update works on all 24valves. I was going to have the function turned on, in my truck but the Smarty has it in it's programing. One more reason to buy a Smarty.

DB
 

·
Member
Joined
·
80 Posts
D_B said:
The high idle functioin or update works on all 24valves. I was going to have the function turned on, in my truck but the Smarty has it in it's programing. One more reason to buy a Smarty.

DB

WHEN YOU TURN ON THIS HIGH IDLE option does it idle back down when the truck warms up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bouncer said:
I might be wrong, but I would bet you will not notice a MPG increase on a diesel motor by not running the fan. If you do, I would think it will not be until warm weather when your fan clutch would be engaged a lot more often than in Winter.

Your probably right on that one.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top