The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use,and have been for several years,extended life coolant in my Cats.
Question is,will it be ok in my dta 360?

·
There's your problem.
220 Posts
just flush the system before hand and you should be fine!

·
3,754 Posts
if your dt has the green stuff in it currently I woudlnt mix it

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been using extended life coolant with distilled water in all of my trucks with out a single problem. Make sure you get all of the green out. I just sold a 1995 Int t444 with 550k that i didn't have a single cooling system problem with. I bought it with 100k and replaced the coolant at that time. Its still making money today.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
trucker_dad said:
I currently use,and have been for several years,extended life coolant in my Cats.
Question is,will it be ok in my dta 360?
Absolutely 100% NOT OK.

The DTA 360 (and 466B/C versions) REQUIRES traditional GREEN antifreeze with the addative DCA. This because of the mettallurgy of the LINERS, not the block, radiator etc.

You CANNOT use DCA/SCA products WITH ELC, so you cannot use ELC.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
John,

Thanks as usual. Any idea how to test the coolant for the proper DCA levels? When I had powerstrokes, we had the old test strips, but are they the right ones to use for a DT466? How does one know how much additive to add and what the % should be?

To be honest, I've just been adding a little here & there to keep some sort of charge in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Duke,

The test strips for the PSDs are the same (DCA) strips you want for a pre-EGR DT/A(360/408/466/530) wether it's mechanical or electronic.

Just be sure you get the correct ones, there are strips for DCA and SCA, and they are NOT the same (although some will test both).

DCA = International + Cummins
SCA = CAT + Detroit

I also reccomend that you use only the Fleetgard DCA or "filter", others have been known to rust the filter can and cause unscheduled coolant drainage.

BTW: Too much addative is just as bad as not enough, but the "ok range" is quite large.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks
Lots of good info.
Recently I called an IH service dept and was recomended to stay with what was in the motor when built.
Also told that 95% of the rebuilds they do are coolant related.

·
MD Newbie
96 Posts
I bought the fleetguard DCA60L (says DCA4) additive from an international shop, and I asked the guy for test strips as well. He sold me Fleetguard 3-way test strips that say the measure freezepoint, molybdate, and nitrite.

It says that that will give me the SCA levels, so I probably have the wrong strips then? Is there an SCA additive as well?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
DCA and SCA are different chamically.

DCA = Diesel Coolant Addative
SCA = Supplimental Coolant Addative

Unfortunately, "SCA" is universally used to refer to BOTH DCA and SCA formulas, and this causes a LOT of confusion.

Fleetgard strips will test DCA4 addatives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts