The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
diesel newbie
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the sinister, dieselite design versus the IPR design. Suppose the full flow of the IPR is better? Cost wise the IPR is higher especially if I buy the manifold. Plus have to buy their tool for opening the filter to clean it, 25 bucks:damnit

Opinions, experiences, and recommendations welcomed. Thanks.

·
diesel newbie
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I posted in the wrong section, hopefully a mod will move this.

So after installing the scangauge my oil and egr coolers look to be in not too bad of shape. At 65 mph I run oil temp at 196 and water temp at 188. At 75 mph the oil rises to 199. Now for the bad news, after talking with the previous owner, he doesnt believe the coolant has ever been flushed or changed in the truck(8.5 years and 56000 miles).

So the next question. What should I do regarding the coolant? Change it, flush with or without chemicals, reverse flush, what do you guys think?

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
You need to change and flush your coolant system. You can use one of the coolant flush products on the market and then flush with distilled water. Add a coolant filter, here: http://www.dieselmanor.com/cooling_sys.asp Cut the coolant with distilled water to about 50%.

·
diesel newbie
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to change and flush your coolant system. You can use one of the coolant flush products on the market and then flush with distilled water. Add a coolant filter, here: http://www.dieselmanor.com/cooling_sys.asp Cut the coolant with distilled water to about 50%.
I have read that doing a chemical flush will only add to the clogging of the oil cooler.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Unless your present coolant is oil filled and cruddy, I would not use chemical flushes. I flushed mine with water and then with distilled water. Distilled water is important as regular tap water has minerals in it that can clog the radiator and oil cooler.

·
1,324 Posts
Sinister is what I installed. Not sure you can buy straight Gold coolant anymore. There was talk of Ford only offering pre-mix because dealers weren't using distilled water resulting in possible cooling problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts