The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had a coolant filter on my B model cat in the 10 years I have had it. Change coolant every 2 years/60-70,000 mi., and check coolant condition every two weeks when I grease it. Is it important to have a filter anyway? My coolant always looks pretty good when I drain it for repairs or replacement.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I have not had a coolant filter on my B model cat in the 10 years I have had it. Change coolant every 2 years/60-70,000 mi., and check coolant condition every two weeks when I grease it. Is it important to have a filter anyway? My coolant always looks pretty good when I drain it for repairs or replacement.
Not really. Most guys just use them for the SCA additive. Anything that needs filtered would have to be poured in when it's filled. If additives remain intact it won't actually make filterable garbage. ;)

·
98 Posts
When I change oil. I also drain 2 gal. Of antifreeze, then I replace it with a couple gallons new mixed @ 60%. Overkill ? Probably, but it works for me. Having a filter means one more hose to leak.

·
3,533 Posts
I am a firm believers in coolant filters. I have seen lots of units that the filter is full of a grit, and rust. Removal of even a little junk out of this stops it from plugging the heater core, and wearing the Impeller especially in a CAT. You do not need to use an additive adding filter they make "0" unit filters. I especially like them I made an adapter out of a filter head and use it to drain the coolant, check pressures, and restriction.
Just a thought!

Reactions: oldnotslow

·
Tribal
167 Posts
Just yesterday, I pulled my coolant filter off for replacement. The SH*T that was inside it was unbelieveable (never looked at it after 100k). I keep my coolant level up with weekly checks, with my A model I use Green 50/50 mix and if not into a large pull AND pulling a large load I don't heat up past 200 (and don't have a automatic fan cut-in). My personal opinion is if you don't have one, get one and check it out after 30-40k miles, I think you will be surprised..
TrIbAl

:peelout

1 - 5 of 5 Posts