The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put ARP studs in my dads 6.0 and I was thinking about installing a coolant filter at the same time. Is it worth it? The water coming out is pretty rusty looking. Dfuser has one for $160 shipped. Sound good??? Coolant Filter

Thanks

Robert

·
511 Posts
good question

·
422 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing after looking in my overflow resevoir and seeing a bunch of sediment in there.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
I'm not a FORD guy CHEVY in the past, currently CUMMINS (not DODGE) but my knowledge of a coolant filter is that there is a chemical that gradually dissolves into the coolant and helps maintain the proper chemical composition of the coolant. This is for use on transportation busses using converted diesel to natural gas. It may not apply to your trucks. I will say that we regularly drain coolant to perform various maintenance ( only when needed of course ) and the coolant that comes out looks good. If the "filter" rattles when shaken I would put my money on what I have said. Why they call it a filter I do not know. It actually does no filtering of the coolant. As far as I can figure with the right chemistry corrosion is inhibited. Heat and flow have an interesting affect on fluids. I mean look at electrolysis. Flowing water develops and electrical charge and becomes corrosive. Hope this helps you guys out. Ivan

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Looks like I'm way off. Well I tried.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey doug where can we get the brand coolant filter kit you used to have.Those are the only good mounted ones i liked the other ones have huge plate and ball valves.

·
Here's your sign!
114 Posts
jennamax said:
I was thinking of the same thing after looking in my overflow resevoir and seeing a bunch of sediment in there.

I noticed that in mine too today,:shrug: while laying under it changing the oil.

·
1,649 Posts
hey diesel kid you are from salem wisconsin right???we need to start up a diesel days or something around here im from easttroy area

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yup, that crap in the coolant will clog the oil cooler passages restricting coolant flow to the ....

EGR cooler, causing puking. If left unchecked (and many dealers will not clean or replace clogged oil coolers, I have no clue why), it can lead to overheating due to low coolant levels - THIS IS BAD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts