The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts on changing radiator hoses as a maintenance item. I have 136k on a 2004 truck and had both engine oil and transmission fluid in my cooling system.

I have big trip coming up this spring and considering changing hoses. Just a waste of money and time or do any of you do this as things age?

·
3,051 Posts
Oils like ATF and motor oil in the cooling system will soften and weaken coolant hoses.

I would give them a good inspection, if any signs of hose swell, replace them.

Since you caught the oil in coolant issues early on, you may still be ok, but I don't want to be the one to quote those famous last words as a hose blows on you in the middle of nowhere

Harry

·
1,213 Posts
I changed mine at 100k - just because that's what I did in the "old days". Just like tires, the rubber today is a lot better than 30 years ago. I could have gone quite a bit longer on mine.

That said, what Harry posted is very true. Techs will replace all coolant hoses after an oil contamination of the coolant.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
I did my main hoses at 135k like many "because". When I puled them they looked perfect. The heater hoses were left alone and still are good at 190k.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Changed mine when I studded the truck, didn't want hoses to catch me up, that was at 6 years and 108k.

The E99 has the original hoses and all of them will get replaced this spring. 16+ year old hoses are not confidence inspiring.

I must say, rubber hoses do seem to hold up vastly better than they did 20-30 years ago, I can remember changing heater hoses on 5.0L Mustangs and countless other cars from the 1980s that were leaking at 5-6 years old.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well looks like some new hoses and coolant are next on the list. Might do the steering box too been putting that one off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts