The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 08' F250 for a little over a month now and I'm trying to track down where I might be loosing coolant from.

A little background on the coolant loss, I purchased the truck and failed to detect that the degauss bottle was completely empty from coolant (huge oversight on my part). Since it still has the Ford Gold in the system, I went to the dealership and bought a gallon to replenish the system. Come to find out, it was over a gallon low on coolant.

After filling it up, I monitored the system to see where it could be loosing coolant from. I found the hose that connects the vertical and horizontal EGR coolers together leaking slightly. I tightened that up and thought that would have been the remedy for my coolant loss. Since adding the coolant back, I have driven a little over 1,000 miles (truck has 113k miles on it) and when I checked this morning I noticed that the level had dropped approximately 1/4 on the degauss bottle. I haven't found any leaks other than the one I previously mentioned.

Does this sound like a symptom of an EGR cooler failing? Is there any way to troubleshoot this to be the case? The truck came with an STC tuner and I just recently changed from the Performance tune to the Tow Tune since I didn't need the extra power. When I installed the Tow tune, I disabled the EGR system to see if that would help at all--which it didn't.

I'm a bit perplexed since I see zero white smoke at startup, or while driving. I plan on swapping out the coolant with some Caterpillar stuff and doing the flush in the next few weeks, so I was hoping to track down the leak before then. The truck has black version of the coolant hoses, but it doesn't seem like anything is leaking from them at this point. Also, per the OASIS report, the radiator is what originally came with the truck--which I've heard have had some issues with splitting at the ends? I would imagine that this would be very obvious if that were the case.

Finally, is it safe to install an EGR delete/block off plate with the tuner that I have? I have done some research over the past few weeks and it seems like some people on the forum say that a delete, or even a block off plate, requires a way to bypass the excess exhaust pressure either through a blow off valve or similar device. I plan to keep the Tow tune installed and am not looking for high HP numbers by any means. Also, is there a kit out there that seems to be better than the others? Thanks in advance! Sorry for the wall of text....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Have you pulled the dip stick to see it there is coolant present in the oil? If there are no external leaks then the possibilities could be EGR System or Headgaskets. Do you have a warranty on the truck yet? What has been done to the truck?

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you pulled the dip stick to see it there is coolant present in the oil? If there are no external leaks then the possibilities could be EGR System or Headgaskets. Do you have a warranty on the truck yet? What has been done to the truck?
Yes, pulled the dipstick and found only black oil. I had a 1987 F250 with a 460 that had a cracked head, and that oil looked like chocolate pudding after only a few miles.

I am the third owner of the truck. The only thing that has been done to it is the DPF delete and HID headlights. I am at 113k miles right now so I don't think that I am still under warranty.

I did crawl under the truck and found coolant weeping on the lower radiator hose that connects to the engine. I ordered the upper and aforementioned radiator hose to replace my gen 1 single o-ring hoses. I also ordered a new thermostat set and degas bottle cap to change when I do the flush.

·
19 Posts
hmmm

Have you tried a coolant pressure test kit on it? I will usually leave one on for a couple hours to see if it drops pressure, while checking for leaks under the vehicle. Not a bad idea i think after doing all the repairs.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried a coolant pressure test kit on it? I will usually leave one on for a couple hours to see if it drops pressure, while checking for leaks under the vehicle. Not a bad idea i think after doing all the repairs.
Good idea. I don't feel comfortable towing anything big until I get this cooling issue resolved. I just traded in a car because the motor blew on it (2011 Subaru with 17,000 miles) so I'm extremely gunshy with vehicles at the moment.

·
606 Posts
I always first try the most simple and least expensive solutions, this saves money and sleepless night. Check the degas bottle for any residue, if any change the rad cap, about 5.00. In fact with the mileage, change it anyway. Using the coolant pressure tester as stated. It only takes a few small leaks, like the ones you are finding to drop the coolant in the degas bottle 1/4. Good luck

·
49 Posts
could be the radiator cracked. I have been thru 2. its just a small drip overnight under the drivers side headlight.

good luck

chris

·
271 Posts
In my 08 there was a radiator problem that showed itself with about 30,000 mi. on it if memory serves. Ford had a recall on it, so it may be worth checking with the dealer to see if it has been done. They may replace it free of charge?

A 1/4 lower after overnight could be just shrinkage in the coolant after it has been cooled.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
I have a 2008 with Spartan Tunes and CAI and MBRP Cat Back DPF Delete and new Down Pipe. I literally consume coolant by boiling it out the degas bottle when I get on it. The cause as far as I can tell is the EGR's super heat when pushing it sand boil the coolint and it spray out the degas. My Drivers front wheel is soaked most of the etime I can go through 4 litres of coolant in 100 miles if in on ot or towing. I just put it down to the cost of running the truck

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I have a 2008 with Spartan Tunes and CAI and MBRP Cat Back DPF Delete and new Down Pipe. I literally consume coolant by boiling it out the degas bottle when I get on it. The cause as far as I can tell is the EGR's super heat when pushing it sand boil the coolint and it spray out the degas. My Drivers front wheel is soaked most of the etime I can go through 4 litres of coolant in 100 miles if in on ot or towing. I just put it down to the cost of running the truck
Im pretty sure thats not supposed to happen there bud!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, if you are burping fluid it could be a head gasket or that you need a new cap or something else altogether. Either way, I would fix it since it isn't super cool to be dumping that stuff all over the roads. Motorcyclists wouldn't appreciate that.

·