The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flushed my system then added Zerex orginial green (low-silicate), but due to time constraints (and poor planning on my part) I forgot to add the SCA. Needless to say, I have driven the truck 20 miles and am concerned with cavitation/bubbles starting and worried about any long term damage that I may have done because of no SCA. I don't know much about cooling systems/coolants...hopefully someone out there knows the answer.

Thanks....Jeff '99 PSD 7.3 CC F350

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
20 miles ain't life and death.

Quit beatin' around the bush and put some additive in it....

·
1,726 Posts
Put some additive in it. I can't see where you hurt much in 20 miles.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
It would take months of cavitation to hurt your pump. Your fine put some stuff in and forget about it.

·
172 Posts
i believe i read a study of some sort somewhere that i cant find that it takes as much as 60-100,000 miles for cavitation to begin

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
try napa kool 7-8 bucks at napa auto parts thats what i use works great 100000 miles with it and no problems( ive changed it 2 times=100000)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAPA Kool a SCA?

I've seen mixed reports about NAPA Kool. Is it a SCA? If yes, is it a good one to use (I flushed and put in Zerex Original Green (low-silicate) with a brand new waterpump.) The last thing I want to do is put in a new waterpump. In fact, the only thing I want to do for awhile is add gas and change the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Straight Flush said:
I've seen mixed reports about NAPA Kool. Is it a SCA? If yes, is it a good one to use (I flushed and put in Zerex Original Green (low-silicate) with a brand new waterpump.) The last thing I want to do is put in a new waterpump. In fact, the only thing I want to do for awhile is add gas and change the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter....
Just put some additive in it, by the time your done talking about it you could have just went to ford for an SCA:deal:

Secondly, I hope to God you don't fill it with gas......

·
67 Posts
what is sca?

·
2,106 Posts
wonderin about it myself, know nothing about it myself, and I replaced my water pump and did a flush about a year ago. Y'all got me thinkin uh oh...

·
1,726 Posts
Suplumental Coolant Additive.

It's what you use the DCA test strips to determine if you need to add any. It is best to check it with test strips once a year and add if necessary. You should be able to get the test strips and additive at your local diesel truck shop. You can get SCA from Ford but I don't know if they will have test strips. In your owners manual it just tells you to add a certain amount every so many miles/months.

Most of the Long Life or ELC coolant doesn't require additive or testing.

I think I added 2 pints (I used the Motorcraft stuff) when I did my coolant flush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts