The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning out my regulated fuel return system:Thumbup: If I get a new transmission cooler, would I be able to use the little OEM tranny cooler as a diesel fuel cooler for the return line? I assume the lines and cooler could handle the 65psi which the system will probably be set at.

Thanks

Tim

·
1,726 Posts
You could use the tranny cooler if you want. The cooler should be put in the return line so you will not have much if any pressure in it, just a flow of fuel.

I did not put a fuel cooler in my system because it is best to bypass it in the winter so that it doesent gel up. And I also just got a little lazy!!

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have to worry too much about extreme cold weather here in NC.

Tim - Former Michigander who knows what real cold weather is;)

·
2,334 Posts
ok so.. your going to buy an aftermarket cooler. then plumb the fuel through the cooler now that allready has ATF inside of it? do you really think that is such a good idea? you will NEVER get all that at out of there in my opinion.. if i were you add a second cooler to the trans and get a small seperate cooler for the fuel.. and why would you want to cool the fuel after it has gone through the system? if it were me it would go through the cooler before it goes to the injectors

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please explain how that little bit of ATF from my itty bitty early 99 ATF cooler will harm my fuel system.

From the research I've been doing about regulated fuel return system, it's a good idea to cool the diesel that is returning to the tank since it's heats up as it passed through the rails.

Adding a larger cooler for the trans will help for my towing purposes. Why not utilize this little OEM cooler for something else since it's mounted and ready to go?

Tim

·
2,334 Posts
not a good idea to contaminate fuel with any kind of fluid just my opinion.. for what a small one costs id rather not risk anything contaminating my fuel and possibly causing and issue

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
i am pretty sure you could easily clean that thing out good to get all the ATF out of there before you start running the fuel threw there.

·
1,726 Posts
moose99ps said:
why would you want to cool the fuel after it has gone through the system? if it were me it would go through the cooler before it goes to the injectors
One reason for using a cooler in the return line is so that the fuel returning to the tank is cooled down so it doesn't heat up the fuel in the tank. The only problem with hot fuel in the tank is the fuel pump is kept cool by the fuel it is pumping. I am not real sure how necessary this all is though because they don't have a fuel cooler stock and I don't think there is a huge problem with the fuel pumps going out on the SD trucks.

·
6,337 Posts
I dont think your going to hurt the fuel one bit running it thru the tranny cooler, Hell I used to put about a gallon of ATF in with 120 gallons of diesel in my 97 and shes still running around. Not a bad idea... I dont see why fuel needs to be cooled in the first place but it would work just fine!

·
1,726 Posts
The only problem I can see with using the stock tranny cooler for the fuel is if you sent the fuel through it straight to the engine without filtering it.

You will be hard pressed to get every particle out of the cooler, and they could be quite damaging to your injectors.

If you plan to go through the cooler then a filter then the engine, I say use it.

Or you could go from return line to cooler then to the tank and all those little particles will just be back in the tank and will be caught in the fuel filter.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, decided not to bother with running the return through that little cooler. In fact, looking closer I didn't realize that there is a much larger cooler up in there which is the tranny cooler. I mistook the very little cooler in front for the tranny cooler which I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, is really the oil cooler. Now my thought is, should I get a new tranny cooler to put in front of everything and reroute my oil lines to the current tranny cooler?

Tim

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I put a quart of atf in every tank of fuel I pump, especially since they got rid of almost all of my beloved sulfer! Thanx emissions nazi's!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts