The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the system. It appears to be overpressurizing, if I drive it the Low Coolant light comes on. I can then twist the cap and the coolant comes back up to its normal level. And yes the coolant level actually drops to the add mark until I twist the cap off.

There is a new coolant cap on the truck from GMC used the VIN to make sure it was the proper one.

What am I overlooking?

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind guys, I filled it up with the engine off and cold, and it seems to have done the trick. Thanks, just disregard this post as I am still new to the surge tank concept and this Dmax. No owners manual is not helping me out either.

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was indepth, and very helpful. Thank you for that post, I will be filling the system for the next few days to make sure it is ok. Thanks again and I will be in contact before I head to Sedona, that way you will have a V2 ready for me.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
Dont forget to "burp" the system. There's a small screw on the top of the thermostat housing that you are supposed to loosen as you run the engine and add coolant, this allows air to release.

Just dont forget to tighten it back up after you're done filling.....if you dont, you'll eventually get a geyser similar to Old Faithful under your hood. Seen it happen...

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will do that shortly, the lil man just fell asleep for a nap, so I have an hour or two to get some additional work done. Thanks again,

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the problem went from bad to worse. Just diagnosed it as Head Gaskets thanks in part to Eric at Merchant. The dealer says to take it to their shop and they will work something out with me about it. I am hoping that means half of their cost, which is .01's on the $1. It has to be done, just wish it was a year down the road, hopefully they flog their service section for missing it and I get it for free.

Tony

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
TheBac said:
Dont forget to "burp" the system. There's a small screw on the top of the thermostat housing that you are supposed to loosen as you run the engine and add coolant, this allows air to release.

Just dont forget to tighten it back up after you're done filling.....if you dont, you'll eventually get a geyser similar to Old Faithful under your hood. Seen it happen...
Well, that happened to us at the track once, before we ran, the coolant overpressurized when it was cold. My dad opened the cap, and a geyser of coolant exploded.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, taking it in shrtly now. Towing my own truck to be repaired, man this is depressing. I have never had to tow my own truck for it being broke down. Hopefully the dealer gets this worked out in my favor rather quick. Wish me luck guys.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
Unfortunately, 01s had the head gasket problem. They were re-designed in 02. Once they are replaced, you shouldnt have any more issues.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, now it will be good, but in a couple of years I want to stud the upper and lower ends. I wish they could have held out that long, but thats life.

Tony

BTW, Thanks Tom, I appreciate the help.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got word at 430PM that the truck is going to be fixed at no cost to me, so that takes a heavy weight off my shoulders:Thumbup: . So I can get back to looking at the cost of EFI Live and a Suncoast:woot: :sly: . What else should I look at besides injectors?

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
Now thats a dealer that stands behind their vehicles. Thank God.

Keep in mind the 01s have a speed limiter that you cant change. IIRC, you can use EFI to replace the operating system with an 02 LB7 one that will allow the limiter to be changed. Then its on to tuning ....

Hopefully one of the EFI gurus will chime in on this.

I would ask your dealer to do a search of known TSBs and/or recalls to make sure theres nothing else your truck needs.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Injectors were replaced @ 101K in 2004 so I should be good for a while on this truck. I run Bio and with the lubricity of that this set should last quite a while. Other than that, they got the truck into a bay today and I am waiting on a diagnosis from the tech and hopefully will see my truck back by Thursday. I am praying they get this done fast so I can get this truck back, the loaner is a Malibu, not even close to comparable! No laughing guys, I am at the mercy of the dealer at this point.

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

They took the cab off the truck yesterday and are tearing into the engine to replace the Head Gaskets. Service manager is stating that I wont see the truck until likely the middle of next week. I am paying for new Glow Plugs and they are going to install them for the cost of the parts, so I give kudos to them for that. Thankfully I dont have to pay for anything but the GP's so I am getting off pretty lucky.

The service manager is sending me pics of the whole job as it goes step by step. So I will post when he starts sending.

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They said it would make the process much easier, GM is supposedly going this route after a Frod tech informed them of the ease of working on the engine. I am not concerned about how they get it done as long as they get it up and running again:Thumbup: . I will post pics as soon as I get them from the service manager. I just hope they put the guages back together the right way. I laughed too when they told me the cab was off.

Thanks again for the help Tom,

Tony

Think I owe you a beer by now, maybe when Eric has his shin dig in Holland.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got the truck back after all this time. Thus far I can take it out and beat on it for a few minutes and open the Coolant Cap and nothing happens like it did before.

Heads tested ok, but a injector cup needed resealed. Injectors themselves were replaced in l12/04, so I should be ok on that part. They installed all new glows and so far I am pleased. Hopefully everything will go ok from here on. Thanks for all the help.

Tony

BTW, that truck looks weird on the back of my flatbed being towed home!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I gotta believe its easier to pull the engine out myself, but I guess its all in what your used too.

Now that I see they lifted the cab, I think we know where the damage to the trans cooler came from..

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New trans cooler is in and the truck runs great now. It was only 2 1/2 to 3 quarts low on fluid, so I doubt that any damage was done to the tranny. I discovered my air filter restriction guage is also missing. This is getting to be a joke. But the truck runs again and runs well.

Tony

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.