The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has one I am looking for some real world info on hounds I have always wanted a redbone or an black and tan but I am looking into all breeds of hound. I would like to know how they are around other people and there pets and especially kids. The main thing I wold be hunting would be coyotes and coons but I need a dog that is good with people and other animals. I understand that they need exercise and are a very active breed. Not to be an arss but I am not interested in labs I have one and he is a great dog just not very well suited for the type of hunting I am wanting to do. Any information that I receive is greatly appreciated and pics would be great also. Other breeds that I am looking into are American Leopard Cur http://www.treehound.com/html/leopard.html and Majestic Tree Hound http://www.treehound.com/html/majestic.html these are just 2 examples and thanks for any info

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I am also interesting in the Redbone breed...

·
42 Posts
Growing up we always coon hunted with treeing walkers and blue tick hounds. They got along well with the other yard dogs and my little brother and his friends. Once they got older and dad would retire them we'd just let them run loose in the backyard with the other dogs instead of keeping them in kennels anymore.

·
J Mann Backhoe Service
404 Posts

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
pure bred Drahthaar, started pointing bugs at 4 months old.......has his first year of hunting under his belt at 11 months..... we have bagged 14 rabbits, 2 deer, about 30-40 birds, and 2 raccoons (i didnt get to kill them.......he took care of the garbage LOL)

if you want to come demo the breed then come down to Fl before varmint and bird season is over!!!!

oh and he has no training accept basic sit, stay, halt. we are still working on the whistle.....LOL and he rides in a vet truck all day long with my GF and sleeps in bed with us LOL has never pissed, pooped or chewed anything in the house!

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I think I am wanting a red bone it is the dog I have wanted since I was a little kid so does anyone no of any good breeders or good placed to get one? the closer to st.louis the better but I am always open to a road trip LOL

·
9 Posts
There are different breeds of dogs for hunting. It can be a lobbrador, an English raccoon hound, a Spanish water dog and others. It can be difficult to choose. But before choosing to clarify what features of training and care of such dogs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts