The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions re: changing the HPOP and maybe someone on here could answer them:

1) For someone like myself who's fairly handy but has never torn into the 7.3's HPO system, realistically how hard is it to R/R the HPOP? I'm on Joey @ TE's waiting list for the T1 and am trying to decide if I should make the ~300 mile drive up to Modesto and have him install it (I'm due for a little road trip) or if I should install it myself. If anyone is around Vandenberg AFB/Lompoc/Santa Maria/Santa Barbara and wants to help, I'll provide all the adult beverages you can drink for the assistance.

2) How long should I budget time-wise for a first time HPOP R/R?

3) Other than a new IPR (keeping the old one for a spare), new o-rings between the HPO fittings and the block, and new o-rings between the HPO crossover fittings and the block, is there any other "while I'm at it" jobs I should take care of? I was thinking about a new gasket between the HPO reservoir and the front cover but is that a good idea or overkill?

4) Other than the HPO line disconnect tool, are there any other oddball tools that I should get BEFORE the job? I have a bad habit of getting halfway into a big job when I realize I'm missing some widget and then have to reassemble my truck, go to the store to buy one, then start the job all over again...

FWIW, I also cross-posted this on SoCAPS in case anyone there wants to help...

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
You dont really need any special tools at all.
I just changed mine ans it took about 4 houre or mabey a little less.
I drained some coolant and removed the front heater hose to gain acess to the front cover.
The gear bolt it pretty tight and I used a 1/2" impact to remove it.
Get a large syringe or tyrkey baster to remove the oil from the resouivor.
I also used it to refill it after which is highly reccomended.
Just remember the order in which you take tjings apart and reverse it.
Be carefull switching the fittings on the pump and just snug them.

·
862 Posts
Changing the HPOP isn't too bad. Thad's post pretty much summed it up. Everything comes apart pretty easily. Joey has some good instructions on the Terminator website, with pics posted. Run through those to see if any questions pop up. Just take your time putting it all back together, especially the gasket between the pump and HPOP reservoir. And don't drop that gear bolt down the front engine cover!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts