The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in any particular order:

Belt tensioner shakes and belt shredded. Replaced belt. Immediately tore 1/8 in width off the whole belt. The remaining piece has lasted me 3 months now but squeaks. Belt tensioner still jiggling. Have a spare in my truck in case it blows too.

Checked differential fluids the other day and the rear one had shavings galore in there. I'm also slipping if I really get on it. Tranny was rebuilt two years ago by someone who I probably shouldn't have taken it to.

Getting a popping sound on hard bumps and turns. Under the driver side mainly but sometimes under the passenger. Can't figure it out. Thanks guys

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any input on these would be great guys. Thanks

·
8,265 Posts
Not in any particular order:

Belt tensioner shakes and belt shredded. Replaced belt. Immediately tore 1/8 in width off the whole belt. The remaining piece has lasted me 3 months now but squeaks. Belt tensioner still jiggling. Have a spare in my truck in case it blows too.

Checked differential fluids the other day and the rear one had shavings galore in there. I'm also slipping if I really get on it. Tranny was rebuilt two years ago by someone who I probably shouldn't have taken it to.

Getting a popping sound on hard bumps and turns. Under the driver side mainly but sometimes under the passenger. Can't figure it out. Thanks guys
Unless you have a great desire to have your truck strand you at a very inconvenient time...replace the tension pulley with your spare. On my early 99, I also discovered that if I put a belt on that had both vertical and horizontal grooves...the belt jumped. If I had a belt that only had the grooves that made it line up in the pulley...I had no issue.

I'm hoping you changed your the diff fluid when you discovered the shavings. It isn't that hard...just know that gear fluid stinks.

And start saving for a new tranny. If its slipping now...it will only get worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive had four psds and evryone does the belt thing where it strips of 1/8th off the belt never had any problems with it so never looked into why its doin it

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I know it's been awhile. Truck sat a little during deployment. No biggie.

Belt tensioner was bad. Spring had slightly come unwound and pushed pullies out of square. $65 and a few minutes fixed that.

I know gear oil stinks. I've played in it before. My statements were more for is it a tranny issue or possibly a ring and pinion issue. So I'm upgrading to 4.56:1 anyway. I'll then easily discover if my tranny is being a ***** and slipping for everything.

One, 1!, guy was able to tell me what the popping sound was. Correct my terms if they're wrong, but the stabilizing bar behind the front axle has two vertical rods. They were ever so slightly loose. And so with a turn or bump, shifting of the cab, pop. Tightened em up and no more pop.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Ok so I know it's been awhile. Truck sat a little during deployment. No biggie.

Belt tensioner was bad. Spring had slightly come unwound and pushed pullies out of square. $65 and a few minutes fixed that.

I know gear oil stinks. I've played in it before. My statements were more for is it a tranny issue or possibly a ring and pinion issue. So I'm upgrading to 4.56:1 anyway. I'll then easily discover if my tranny is being a ***** and slipping for everything.

One, 1!, guy was able to tell me what the popping sound was. Correct my terms if they're wrong, but the stabilizing bar behind the front axle has two vertical rods. They were ever so slightly loose. And so with a turn or bump, shifting of the cab, pop. Tightened em up and no more pop.
Stabilizer links are what those are called. If they were loose I'd replace them with polyurethane ends. The standard rubber will deteriorate much faster than the poly ones.

·
1,324 Posts
I went MOOG problem solver they are basically greasable tie rod ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts