The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my truck in Oct 2003. My CPS went out in Nov 2004 and was replaced with another stock. Then in Oct 2005 a rebuilt engine was swapped for my old one and a new CPS installed. That one started acting up in early January so I replaced it in late January. Two weeks ago, early March that one failed and I replaced it with a stocker which is now failing 3 weeks into March. That one is being replaced under warranty for a new part but now the stocker I installed 2 weeks ago is starting to fail.

Is there something else that could cause these to fail. When I take them off there is a little bit of oil on the back side. Is this normal? I know its a part prone to failure but good Lord its 4 in 4 months.

·
4,024 Posts
I think I would try another sorce.... I've had good luck with navistar, Napa, and Ebay
I heard tails of bad in the box ones too.
Yes alittle oil on the end is normal
How many miles on the motor? I read somewhere that too much end play in the cam could make the cps not pick up the rotation of the cam,but had no negitive influence on the cps.

I believe this was "fixed" by shimming the cps closer to the cam......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the CPS today and was surprised to find the Oring in pieces. I'm sure if the Oring wasn't snug it would have some play and definately mess with the CPS. I installed the new CPS but will keep this one as a spare. I'll just get another ORing. Oh well, I hope that's all it was. tks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts