The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need help making the decision. Common Rail or 24 valve? I want to go fast, so an auto is a necessity. Which is easier and cheaper to make hp? I like the newer body style, but i'd rather have less expensive and more hp. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
your choice should be 12v or CR...

the 2nd gen 24v trucks are serverly hadicapped...

I gave serious consideration to a 3rd gen, but I couldn't find a nice one for under $20k... I got my quad/short 12v for $8600... the difference in price will buy a lot of power ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Severly handicapped???? I was understanding that 2 generations had a lot of potential...I was sold on common rails until a local performance shop told me it would be cheaper/easier to get a lot of hp out of a 2 gen. Now i'm confused:shrug:

B

·
0 Posts
I don't think the 2nd gen 24v trucks are as severly handicapped as they once were. Although if you are going for all out power and speed, go with a 2nd gen 12v hands down.

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it where me I would go with a 2nd gen 24v, ours is a 1998.5 24v and for very little money, we made the thing go 12.86sec. in the 1/4 with a stock turbo and injector pump. Very cheap horse power just watch the trans.

·
Registered
973 Posts
barrowed time said:
If it where me I would go with a 2nd gen 24v, ours is a 1998.5 24v and for very little money, we made the thing go 12.86sec. in the 1/4 with a stock turbo and injector pump. Very cheap horse power just watch the trans.
So what do your EGT's look like at the big end?

B

·
0 Posts
Smokem said:
So what do your EGT's look like at the big end?
I would be very interested in that also. Congrats on the numbers and everything, but you can't tell me you are not afraid of a serious turbo failure or a complete meltdown. That stock charger has to be so far out of it's map that it is rediculous.

I have 400hp on my stock 35 and it can not even come close to creating enough air, I mean look at my avitar. My charger is hating life everytime i start the truck. If I had air I would be over 500 easy. You have over 200hp sticks in there, something bad is going to happen. Might not be tomorrow, but it will happen.

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is why the truck is called borrowed time, we know the turbo will go but that just means that we get to get a new one, EGT I don't know, I am the builder not the driver, and he did not mention it, so could not have been to high. Also it is only a show and drag truck not a daily driver.

·
Mafia member 46
555 Posts
barrowed time said:
That is why the truck is called borrowed time, we know the turbo will go but that just means that we get to get a new one, EGT I don't know, I am the builder not the driver, and he did not mention it, so could not have been to high. Also it is only a show and drag truck not a daily driver.
There is NO Way that the EGT's are not a problem with the mods and a stock turbo! Just an EZ and 90 hp sticks would exceed the safe limits on the stock turbo!

·
1,055 Posts
I don't think the 24v's are handicapped:shrug: , they can have some great numbers with not that many mods. The trans suck, but they do on all of the dodges:nunu: . The 12v is the king for cheap and a lot of hp:HappyMugs .

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Forrest Nearing said:
your choice should be 12v or CR...

the 2nd gen 24v trucks are serverly hadicapped...
He's speaking of the VP44 I believe. They go out easy on trucks with stock fueling with stock fuel pumps. And extremely easy on ones with fueling beyond stock. I have a edge comp box with a stock fuel pump. I'm dancing on quick sand. However I've been a year with the truck now, so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed until I can afford a FASS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Scrappy said:
There is NO Way that the EGT's are not a problem with the mods and a stock turbo! Just an EZ and 90 hp sticks would exceed the safe limits on the stock turbo!

Trust me the egt where not problem otherwise we would have shut the truck down. I will talk tothe driver and find out what they where and let you guys know. Found out what the egt's where and it was around 900 to 1200deg.

B

·
0 Posts
Not calling you a liar or anything, but that is impossible. Either your pyro is broke, your driver does not really know and just telling you that, or you are the only one in history to pull of the miraculos feat.

Bill

·
Mafia member 46
555 Posts
barrowed time said:
Trust me the egt where not problem otherwise we would have shut the truck down. I will talk tothe driver and find out what they where and let you guys know. Found out what the egt's where and it was around 900 to 1200deg.
is the pyro probe pre or post turbo?

·
3,514 Posts
A couple of things, 1st I can't see how you are only at 900-1200 degress even post turbo. My truck runs high 14's on a stock turbo and hits 1500 no problem.We also had a 24v. running high 12's and it had an hx40, and the pyro kept wanting to come back around, my guess was somewhere around 1800-2000 degrees.

As far as which truck to buy, the original question, it really depends on how fast you want to go, and how much money you have. Any of the trucks are great and can move along quite well for most people, I personally like the look of the 2nd gen trucks, and the ability to adjust a 24v, over the 12v. My 12v however was roughly the same hp that I'm at now and only cost about a 1000 to get there, and that includes gauges and exhaust.

If you want a 3rd gen that really moves, you are probably looking at spending 30-35k at least, when all is said and done. A 12v can probably be done at about 1/2 that, and a 24v will probably be somewhere in the high 20k's/30k's depending on the truck you start with.

Thats just my opinion though. hope that helps, Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Well I could see the EGT's being that low if he was running enough Nitros to drop a dinosaur.

My 24v moves really well and I haven't even spent over 15k on the truck and mods.

I've done all the mods myself, and I'm not saying it's beating a Viper.
But I would be curious to know what it'd do in the quarter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey I can only tell you what the drivers told me, post turbo pyro, and don't call me a lair. I work on the truck and know it like the back of my hand and if there was a problem I would be the first one to know, and it would be fixed. Not impossible because our truck is doing it, if you want to see I will try to get a video on May 19 and 20th, we have diesel races that weekend and are running it again. I will take pics and post them. Also no spray, we don't depend on a bottle to get good times.

B

·
0 Posts
barrowed time said:
post turbo pyro
So you are actually looking at 1200*-1500* then. That is more inline, but I still think it is about three hundred low with your stated mods.

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you go any higher than 1500 you ARE going to melt down things you will not want to pay for to replace. Trust me I have seen it and have worked on those truck before.

B

·
0 Posts
barrowed time said:
If you go any higher than 1500 you ARE going to melt down
Although it is far from recommended, many trucks have gone much more than 1500* without any damage. In your opinion, what kind of temps do you think a pulling truck on straight #2 is running towards the end of the pull? I will bet you everything I have that it is more than 1500*.

My pyro in my truck goes to 1600* and I have pegged that on more than one occasion just playing on the street. That is pre-turbo also just to avoid any confusion.

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts