The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's the deal. My 99 F250 is starting to nickel and dime me with oil leaks and fuel leaks, I must have done 10 O rings in the last 3 months and now I'm either loosing my High pressure oil pump or something attached to it. One thing I cant stand is a truck that marks its territory. So its about time to do something about it. I'm trying to decide if pulling this motor and rebuilding or swapping a CR in it is the way I should go. I've been poking around here looking at what is available for the motor and it seems to me that there is no where the information in this forum as there is in the 7.3 ones. Now for the questions, I want to know what I need for upgrades on the motor. What is a available for chips? From the little I've seen everyone talks about a "smarty" but this seems to be a programmer, is there anything any good that is a swap on the fly type system? My end goal is a good DD that can handle towing my big trailer and be faster than all my friends Dmaxs running intake/edge/exhaust.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The smarty isnt adjustable on the fly, but with a CR and a smarty you WILL be beating your friends Dmaxs. Its worth not having the on the fly for the smarty!

·
Registered
109 Posts
quadzilla has some good programers that are on the fly, but smartys i hear nothin but good about them, unless you have a stock trans.

·
Bragg
96 Posts
cummins all the way!!! If you do not go with a CR, a good 12 valve would be better than that 7.3 anyday. The 12v would be a little easier to install too. No electronics. Just run a fuel line to the injection pump and a starter wire, and it will run. Though a 12v would take alot more work to adjust horsepower level. Quite a bit of wrenching would be required. Though from what I hear, the CR just need 3 main wires to the ECM and they will run, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dbunyip said:
I've been poking around here looking at what is available for the motor and it seems to me that there is no where the information in this forum as there is in the 7.3 ones.
I agree there's tons more info on the 7.3 forum. I think it's due to two main reasons:
1. There have probably been waaaay more Ford PSDs sold than Dodge Cummins.
2. How many times can 'New Truck, Which Mods?' followed shortly by 'My Tranny Went' be posted?

Those are really the only things that seem to come up with the Dodge CRs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
austin1972 said:
I agree there's tons more info on the 7.3 forum. I think it's due to two main reasons:
2. How many times can 'New Truck, Which Mods?' followed shortly by 'My Tranny Went' be posted?

Im sure theres plenty of "damn had to remove the cab today" post in the ford area... LOL just messin with ya's!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
BillM2004 said:
Im sure theres plenty of "damn had to remove the cab today" post in the ford area... LOL just messin with ya's!
BWAHAHAHA
thats great! ah..... you think that there are more powerstrokes out there than cummins? got some figures on that? :deal:

·
Registered
58 Posts
BriteWhiteRam said:
BWAHAHAHA
thats great! ah..... you think that there are more powerstrokes out there than cummins? got some figures on that? :deal:
A google search will get you data that shows F series pickups have outsold Rams by at least 2 to 1. I don't think it's a big leap of faith to assume that trend would continue into the HD arena.

Also, if you take a look at the traffic on the Ford section of this site compared to ours, there are a lot more views and posts on the Ford. So, I made an assumption. And yes, I know what happens when I assume!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
f-series.. thats includes the f-150, which does sell more than chev or dodge
but you said powerstrokes...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I know, and after a few tries on google, I couln't find anything that shows year over year sales of PSD/Cummins/DMax. So for now, it's just a WAG as to why there's so much less info on our forum than the 7.3.

·
99 Posts
austin1972 said:

This forum isn't really the "it" place for Dodge/Cummins discussion. Nothing wrong with it but there are places much more active with better info being passed around. DTR dieseltruckresource is about as good as it gets for ram/cummins discussions. There is a certain area over there for cummins conversion discussion. One guy did an 05 common rail swap into I think it was an 01 Excursion very sweet clean install he did in his driveway with lots of pics and details on the finer points of working the electrical graemlins out. There's other places TDR, cumminsforum etc. Take your pick. As far as smarty goes that's as good as it gets for common rails it's like the EFI live being the king of all for duramaxes only the "no on the fly" deal but if you ever try one though you'll be hooked and won't care. Oh, and I'm still waiting to see somebody swap a Powerstroke into a Dodge... :evil: and I read somewhere that since the introduction of the 4500, and 5500 class Dodge heavy duty's have recently starting outselling Ford super duties. They're losing died in the wool blue oval guys like me in the HD class because they want to beta test quirky complex engines on the unassuming public and some of us won't put up with that crap. You can only dump on your customers for so long...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts