The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a few weeks ago I was up at my house in Ms. The whole way up there the tranny gauge worked fine. Park the truck at the camp and go in for the night.

Next morning I get up, crank the truck, and after about 10 seconds of running I look down and notice the tranny temp is saying 250. The truck had not been ran in about 12 hours or more so I know this is completely impossible. I turn the truck off and then back on and it seems to be reading right now. Take off down the road...it's about 2 miles to the road at slow speeds. I get to the road and look down and I'm already at 160 degrees. When I got up to speed it climbed to 190 degrees.

I went and did what I had to do and got back in the truck a few hours later. When I crank her up the gauge is reading fine now...it slowly climbs up to temp. and stays at a steady temp. for a 3 hour drive.

For the next week or so that gauge is working flawlessly as always.

One day after work I get in the truck and head out toward the highway. It's about 2 miles from the office to the main highway. I was doing about 30MPH the whole way and my tranny temp. was reading 160 when I got to the road. When I get on the highway my temp. gauge is all over the place. It's jumping up and down anywhere from 130 to 250 degrees non-stop.

Ever since that day it does it constantly ever single time I drive it. I've checked all the connections and whatnot, cleaned them, and hooked them back up...doesn't help. I called ISSPRO and they told me that they doubted it was the sender unit...

What the heck could it be?? The gauge has been in the truck for about a year without issue. All of a sudden it just goes bad...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've sent an email internally here to find out why they thought it was not your sender. From what you posted here, it sounds like the sender to me. I'll post back as soon as I hear something.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I don't know what's wrong with the thing.

Last I remember the guy told me something had became voltage sensitive, which I could probably see, but I've checked and cleaned all the connections and it didn't help. Then I was thinking about it and wondered why it was doing it off and on at first and then just started doing it all the time...doesn't make much sense to me...first thing I was thinking was the sender.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same problem. The control box for the gauge under the dash was too close to some other electronic device or wire bundle, can't remember which. I just moved it a little and zip tied it and all is well. Hope it's as simple a fix as mine was.

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't tried moving the control box. I'll try that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yes, that has been a cause before, usually when next to a CB radio or audio amplifier. Please let me know if it takes care of it. Another thing to look at is where the wires go into the amplifier box. IIRC, these are small screw terminals and can come loose over time.

If these things don't fix it, we'll probably just arrange a replacement. Who did you buy the gauge through? Our warranty people get mad at me if I don't follow the rules and have the returns coordinated with the selling dealer.

Thanks,
Michael Pliska

·
333 Posts
i have kinda the same problem but mine likes to jump around really bad when i hit the brakes. it will work fine for a while and the it goes screwy again.

·
2,821 Posts
I replied to the post in the other section, but I will put it here as well. I had an issue with my Transmission Temperature Gauge when plowing a while back. It was all over the place. When I got home, I crawled under the truck and checked the connection near the Transmission, the one that connects the Temperature Probe to the Harness, and found it loose. I pulled it apart and re-connected it. Problem went away. When the weather breaks I am going to pull it apart and put some dielectric grease on it just for some cheap insurance. Just a thought, Chris

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thing gets crazier by the minute!

Posted this yesterday because it had been acting up every time I drove it for over a week. Got in the truck after work yesterday and it's working flawlessly! I've drove it 4 times since then and it's reading correct temps. and it's not jumping around at all...rock steady...

This just gets more confusing by the minute...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I snuck into your garage and fixed it overnight ;)

Seriously, let me know what happens, we want to make sure our customers are taken care of!

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually right after I posted that the thing started acting crazy again!

I got on there and was looking around. I had the amplifier box for the pyro hung up and it fell. It was right on top of the sender unit for the tranny. I don't know if that could effect it, but I moved them apart a couple inches and tie wrapped them and it seems to be working since then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my egt gauge from isspro does that now and then when I start it, it will peg at 1500 give it fuel it jumps down then right back up, put it in gear to get a load on it and it will be fine

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After moving the amp box and the tranny sender box apart I'm still doing fine...it hasn't acted up since then. I'm hoping my good luck continues for now.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks for the update, let me know if the problem returns.

Binder man - is yours still acting up?

Thanks,
Michael Pliska

1 - 15 of 15 Posts