The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nathan Petry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01' 3500 that I bought two weeks ago. The cruise control has not worked since purchase. I bought a new switch for the steering wheel, but that did nothing. I can not find any fuses under the hood, or in the cab that have anything to do with cruise control. Does anyone know more about the cruise control electrical system, or maybe where I should go to find out. The truck has a six speed transmission, there are no warning lights on the dash, the horn and everything else works. Thanks, Nathan

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Might be the clockspring in the steering column failed.

As long as PCM/ECM is functional the cruise should be working...But the clockspring is the connection between the steering wheel and the column...

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
Yea, the clockspring will disable the cruise, but in my experience, it sets the air bag light off. Has your steering box recently been replaced? Thats how I broke mine, over rotated the steering wheel while having the box off.

Nothing like making a $300 job a $400 dollar job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I broke a vacuum line that was rotted while working on the fuel pr. gauge. I t was located on the driver side firewall up high. reconnected and replaced rubber and worked fine worth a check. Ed

·
Nathan Petry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the vacuum lines and all seem to be clean with no deterioration. I took a look at the clockspring and nothing seems to be broken. Is there a way I can check the clockspring without taking the steering shaft apart, and if I do have to take it apart is it a fairly fast, or time consuming procedure? Thanks, Nathan

·
93 Posts
mine is doing the same thing. No power when i push the ON button for the cruise. It act's like it has no power going to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts