The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the cruise control I am contiunually seeing the boost increase from less then 5 psi to maybe 20 psi when encountering inclines. However with the cruise control off I maintain my spead the old fashion way with little RPM change and the boost stays low. Being my first diesel perhaps my MPG will increase if I don't use the cruise control. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i Have 38K on my 6.4.
I've tried both ways and i get the best milage with the cruise set around 78 mph.
My big assed foot keeps creepin up the speed if i don't.
mpg has stayed constant @ 13 forever.
you have to just try it for yourself

goo luck

jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
:damnit
okboater said:
i Have 38K on my 6.4.
I've tried both ways and i get the best milage with the cruise set around 78 mph.
My big assed foot keeps creepin up the speed if i don't.
mpg has stayed constant @ 13 forever.
you have to just try it for yourself

goo luck

jim

all my hihgway miles are at 75 on cruise or not

ive tried both

drove hours non stop on cruise and no cruise

no change in MPG

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
It is hard to beat a computer when it comes to fuel mileage. Leave it in cruise, there will be an increase mileage, you might not see it but it is there.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I've not driven a 6.4L any distance on the highway, but many modern EFI vehicles actually are WAY too sensative to small changes in speed (hills etc) and they constantly "pump" the throttle from too closed to too open. This will NOT improve economy.

THE biggest improvement most people can make is in terms of driving SPEED. Slower = better economy, often LOTS better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts