The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went on a trip to Denver and used the cruise control all the way up.My question is that on downhill inclines my Ford f-250 Diesel would keep gaining speed.The Dodge i owned before would idle down to keep a constant speed.Are diesel trucks supposed to work this way ? This my 1st Diesel. or is there something wrong with the switch. thanks chris.

·
775 Posts
You've probably have 3.70 gears so the speed your going isnt allowing the TQ to lock to help hold you back and trans is letting run away. Push the tow/haul button on the down grades and touch brakes lightly and trans will downshift to hold speed or if your in cruse and down grade is steep, tow/haul will down shift automaticly to hold speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks !!I will have to take a road trip this weeend and put it to the test. chris

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
That's strange my truck running down grades never speeds up just holds steady.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was it !!Thanks, found me a nice hill put on the tow/haul and tapped on the brake.Sure enough it held a constant speed thanks for the help ............Chris :Thumbup:

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
tapping the break will take it out of cruise control so that didnt fix anything, my trip to Tennessee i didnt have to touch my peddles or have tow haul unless of course the big hills seeing i had a tailer loaded with motorcycles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My truck does the same thing if I have the cruise set at 75 and come to an overpass it will accelerate to maintain speed up the overpass then when it stops accelerating it just coasts down the overpass and by the time I hit the bottom I'm doing 80 but then it gets back to 75. I figured just the weight of the truck going down hill was causing it to pick up speed

John

·
98 Posts
Yeah I use my cruise control a lot (usually set it for 67 mph) and I hit up hills and down and mine maintains a 3 to 4 mph swing + or - from my set point and thats it.

I have 3.73's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts