The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an N14 with the Cummins Celect and I am being forced to go from paper logs to E logs which means I have to have some sort of device permanently plugged into the truck at the diagnostic port. I can not make this happen with the J1708/J1587 6 pin and my current ECM(it's plugged in but not talking). I have heard that the Celect and Celect + ECM's can be swapped and that the Celect + can be used with the 9 pin J1939.

Anybody know if this is true? If it is what all is entailed in swapping the Celect + ECM over to my Engine?

·
93 Posts
The ECM is not going to be a direct swap. The OEM connector on the Plus
is different and there is a round connector between the OEM connector
and the actuator harness on the engine that is different.
The engine brakes on a Plus are powered directly by the ECM the earlier engine
used a signal to a relay if remember correctly. The cruise switches are set up differently.
I'm not sure if all the sensors are the same and the injectors will be a different part
number and may not work properly. The engine harnesses may have to be
modified or replaced too.
I have done a couple Celect to Celect Plus engine swaps both on Western Stars and the
wiring modifications on the truck itself were a days work.

Terry

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insite(Pun intended).

With the Celect Plus on the J1939 can you view speed, rpm and distance LTD(odometer)?

Those are the three main things I need to be able to view.

·
93 Posts
If the Celect Plus uses J1939 then you should be able to view those parameters.
I'm not 100% sure j1939 is available with the plus ECM. Hopefully
someone here can chime in .

Terry

·
1,138 Posts
The plus will support the J1939 data link but its not a plug and play.Best thing would be is to remover the sensor harness and ecm from a plus engine and rewire the oem harness and yes the ecm calaibration will be different from the Celect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts