The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My off road Disco is in the need of a Cummins. I’m looking for a donor Dodge only thing is I really want to cut down on the electronics, so what year range off a dodge I want to look for?
My friend in Canada has a LR Defender with Cummins in it that don’t even have a working alternator, just push and go...

·
323 Posts
H**l Yeah

that sounds like fun. I'd say an 94- 97 12v cummins. all mechanical and well capable of torwue and power. but a little heavy. Buy a donor vehicle and not engine for cost. but keep us posted. should allow for power steering, AC etc. and starterLOL
easy and cheap to modify. they will run forever!!! good luck

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel Duo said:
that sounds like fun. I'd say an 94- 97 12v cummins. all mechanical and well capable of torwue and power. but a little heavy. Buy a donor vehicle and not engine for cost. but keep us posted. should allow for power steering, AC etc. and starterLOL
easy and cheap to modify. they will run forever!!! good luck

Thanks Duo, I’m keeping it simple but a luxury like a starter I’ll like to have. LOL :rolleyes:

·
1,836 Posts
The '89-'97 6BT is about 1100# and when you measure is tight for length.
The 4BT is a 4 cyl version with common parts at the right length and around 800#, that would leave a little for cargo weight on the front axle.

keydl

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keydl said:
The '89-'97 6BT is about 1100# and when you measure is tight for length.
The 4BT is a 4 cyl version with common parts at the right length and around 800#, that would leave a little for cargo weight on the front axle.

keydl

How much of a power difference is between the 4BT and 6BT? Also do you guys know what kind of a transmission will that come with ? I got to start looking for the transfer case adapter.

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
If you modify the 4BT, it can easily make 250hp and about 500tq. Stock, they run about 105hp most of the time. The ones from bread vans can have a TH400, small Ford C6, Mopar 727, or a manual trans version of all 3 brands.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I’m bitting on a 94' Dodge 5.9l L6 PFI P2 with 160k on the clock manual tran. Can you guys shed some light on that engine, like turbo or no? What is PFI P2? What is the specific name for that manual tran.

$500:sly:

·
1,836 Posts
Should be NV4500.

It will make a real hot rod out of the Disco, save the dif's for later when the Discos break

keydl

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So while the engine is in the shop I’m going to look for a adapter for that transmission to Land rover LT230 transfer case. I need help with identifying that trans...

It’s out off 88 7.3 IDI Ford Econo-350

:thanks:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts