The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how hard it is to put a set of jake brakes on a NHC 250 Cummins. Would I have to put another cam shaft in it with another set of lobes to operate the jake or not? And if not, how are they operated? Also, do I need different heads to be able to put them on? One more question, about how much would it cost to buy all the things I need and put them on myself?

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
You Can Go To The Jacobs Website And Get Alot Of Info. I Don't Know If They Go Back As Far As A Nh 250.a Salvage Yard Might Have A Jake To Fit,it Might Take Some Time To Find One. If You Do Make Sure You Get All The Parts With It Such As The Spacers,adjuster Screws, Valve Bridges Etc. I Would Say 600 To 800 For A Used One.

·
236 Posts
no you wouldn't have to change cams as they work off oil pressure used to push little plungers out and keep the valves from closing all the way. If it will work on that engine, you shouldn't have to swap heads either. Maybe the rocker stands, rockers, and/or valve covers though. all you'd have to do after installing the parts under the covers is run a switchable power, ground, and throttle switch.

·
380 Posts
Do you have the old cast iron rocker boxes? Mine does and finding any top end stuff like gaskets and jakes is hard. The early 250 and 280's had a different shaped rocker box and parts are obsolete.

Look on the passenger side of the valve covers. If they are "V" shaped where they curve your ok. If they are "U" shaped then the fun will begin.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to look as soon as I go to the other farm where its at so I will reply back then. Putting a set of Jakes on is not all that important but if I get the time and money and can find everything I need I might do it. Thanks to every one who replied.

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Somebody on the ATHS site should be able to answer that. In fact your old Dodge might get a fair bit of attention.

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Also an exhaust brake might give you some more stopping power, not as good as a set of Jakes but a whole lot easier to install if the Jakes prove hard to find. Somebody might have to reply if that is appropriate for that engine or not, though.

Birken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts