Votes: 29 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
smokin duramax
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i bought a 03 CR 4door 4x4 dully 6 speed and iv already been thinkin on trading and getting this 04 lb7 6 speed , so i need some help

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
cant help you there im looking for a newer cummins or dmax my self...! I dont know what to tell you there both dang good motors...... it comes down to what truck do you want to drive

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I vote for a Cummins in front of an Allison trans, in an F-350 dually CC.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Cummins

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
5.9 tried and true, and the name is just sexy...

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
cummins

·
Registered
37 Posts
Duramax...all the way.

I had the cummins thing......now it burns when I pee :eek: :D

In all seriousness, I had an 03 CR cummins (TST, South Bend clutch, 5" exhaust etc) for 5 months and sold it to buy my Dmax.

Here are my findings -

The Dmax would run as well stock as my cummins with the tst on 3/4. The cummins would pull to 2k rpms and just die off, the dmax just keeps pulling.
I have raced a chipped cr cummins, chipped 7.3, and chipped 6.0 all on stock lb7 tuning and won. Now not by 10 lengths, but a win is a win.
I did think I would see a difference while towing, in the cummins favor. But to the contrary, with the Alli in t/h and a 70hp (give or take) EFI tow tune, the dmax outperformed my cummins (tst on 3/5 and sbc) hauling a trailer load of coal. In fact the dmax' load was 1/2 a ton heavier (3 1/4 ton vs 2 3/4 ton) than what I pulled with the cummins.
Mileage tuned to chipped (hand calc, summer fuel) - Dmax 22.5 mpg (h) 19 (town), cummins - 19 mpg (h) 16 (town)

Overall quality of the truck (fit and finish, interior layout, interior quality, etc) is no comparison, GM all the way.

Now that I've probably started a brand war, I'm not bashing the cummins. They are a great motor, without them the diesel performance market would not be here.
I am saying that imo the dmax is a better choice.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
cummins

·
Hadley Coal Roller
819 Posts
Neither! Where is the powerstroke button :haha

Lonnie
okay now lonnie. dont get to carried away. :haha. but i voted cummins myself

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
ONCE you own acummins.. itsin your blood.. what ever you put it through it will take.. an some and gve you killer MPG if you get 24v...

·
365 Posts
I have owned a 98 12 valve 4x4 dually, it was running strong when I sold it with 212k miles on it. I had a 99 4x4 2500 with 290k on it running strong. Now I have an 03 2x4 2500 with 190k on it and it is runs great. I have had such good luck with my Cummins, I personally would not want to switch over. But, for every guy like me, there is another with similar stories on the Dmax. (The Chevy/GMC interiors are way better than a Dodge, as stated above)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts